SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

QZW

TLT weekly options

I have been selling naked weekly OTM puts on TLT and also buy/write ITM covered call options on dips for a while, with success. In a flat market, this works extremely well. But this article got me thinking:http://seekingalpha.com/article/305546-selling-weekly-options-on-tlt of "covered puts" as the author describes it. Any thoughts? Is there a calendar trade on TLT that is mentioned on this Forum? Thanks.

QZW

Edited by QZW

Covered puts or covered calls , both have same advantage and drawbacks. No difference in strategy. TLT goes up and down at same rate.

One would be better than other if there was difference in speed/rate of climbing up / down.

With calendars , you will need constant adjustment to keep delta neutral. It is only for IV play and slow gainer as time decays slowly. 

In a flat market,  Iron condors/ butterflies are best 

Covered puts or covered calls , both have same advantage and drawbacks. No difference in strategy. TLT goes up and down at same rate.

One would be better than other if there was difference in speed/rate of climbing up / down.

With calendars , you will need constant adjustment to keep delta neutral. It is only for IV play and slow gainer as time decays slowly. 

In a flat market,  Iron condors/ butterflies are best 

I agree, but I am now thinking about augmenting the strategy by rebalancing between SPY and TLT monthly puts: http://seekingalpha.com/article/1026371-tlt-and-spy-combining-multiple-market-timing-systems