SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Chuck451

Thru-Erarnings Straddle - KKD

For the last 4 cycles, straddles for KKD have paid off thru earnings.  I played this last cycle with a small allocation, and closed just after opening for a 24% gain, and if I held on to it near closing I could have gotten over 60%.

What do you think? 

Edited by Chuck451

For the last 4 cycles, straddles for KKD have paid off thru earnings.  I played this last cycle with a small allocation, and closed just after opening for a 24% gain, and if I held on to it near closing I could have gotten over 60%.

What do you think? 

Chuck,

On the last earnings date (Dec 2), KKD dropped 16% in after hours trading after reporting earnings, and it closed down 20% at the end of the day.  This is a huge move and larger than the 12.5% implied move.  Was this really profitable?  Can you tell us more about the trade?

Kim,

Why do you think this looks good?

To tie this up, I closed this about 11:00 yesterday at 1.15 for a 50% loss.  The price was up 10% after hours, and I was hopefully this was going to be a big win.  Unfortunately, the market had other ideas the next day...  :(

I had played ULTA the last cycle with a straddle through earnings for a 65% gain, but skipped it this time.  Glad I did.

To tie this up, I closed this about 11:00 yesterday at 1.15 for a 50% loss.  The price was up 10% after hours, and I was hopefully this was going to be a big win.  Unfortunately, the market had other ideas the next day...  :(

What you can do in those cases is short the stock in AC to lock the gains (100 shares for each straddle you had).