SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

papep

Trading in Multiple Account Types

I just joined SteadyOptions last month. I currently have two accounts with IB: a Roth IRA and a taxable account. I was wondering if the community had any advice on managing trading in two account types (as opposed to two accounts with different brokerages, which other topics cover).

Do you recommend going back and forth, or trading certain strategies in each account type, or making the same trades in both?

The benefits of having both are that the Roth IRA is a fantastic retirement savings tool where the gains are tax-free, whereas the taxable account can be accessed penalty-free at any time.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Some of the trades are easier with a margin account, which will not be your IRA, otherwise both accounts are fine to use.

I tend to keep the earnings trades in one account, but do some of the condors and other trades in another that has cheaper commissions.  Since all the trades are pretty short term, there might be some tax implications, always a moving target with our current government.  

I am trying to understand various strategies and narrow down to only few that are best.

First is for  range bound trading or when stock is in low IV doing nothing or expected to do nothing.

In this case  we can either  choose  iron condor  or butterfly  or calendar spread/double calendar.

With Iron condor the  MAX risk/reward is not good.

Butterfly  has   highest  reward / risk  but range is narrow.  We can even put a zero cost butterfly and forget about risk and see if we can get any rewards . 

Calendar    has  good reward/risk and range is narrow too, but needs adjustment  as the cost is not zero.

What would you guys recommend ?