SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Jarrrod88

Earnings email alerts

Hi All,

I'm looking for a tool/service, which has the ability to set email alerts based on earnings triggers. So lets say Orcl is reporting on 31-12-22 and i would like an email alert 7 days ahead with my own notes. 

Basically i'm looking for a tool on which i can setup these kind of alerts.

Cheers,
J

There may well be an easier way, or even a paid subscription to some site, but what I've done in the past is this :

1.) Export the earnings dates (from volHQ or ChartAffair) into an Excel sheet 

image.png

2) Write a simple VBA macro (attached to a button) which checks all the rows in the XLS sheet and pop's up a list of those stocks that have earnings 7 days from now. Excel can send email alerts.

Or you may want to download the data into a text file, and write a Python script.

I'm sure there are many ways to do this.

You'd have to do the export everyday, cos new earnings dates get confirmed everyday when the season is in full flow. Not clean, or pretty, but served my purpose at the time.

Edited by zxcv64

Adding on to @zxcv64's suggestion, you could use the Watchlist spreadsheet located here as a starting point, and add the links for symbols to your personal Notes files.

Instead of a plethora of symbols, it only contains specific ones of interest.

Review the file each morning to see which earnings are coming up.

@Ringandpinion Tnx for the tip. I would like to use it as a “reminder” for Every Earningscycle, so i don’t forget the potential trade, type of trade, remarks, etc. and research the trade after getting the alert.

The  way You describe it, it would beuseful after the alert and research and set it as an active trading alert. 

cheers 

Edited by Jarrrod88

14 minutes ago, Jarrrod88 said:

@Ringandpinion Tnx for the tip. I would like to use it as a “reminder” for Every Earningscycle, so i don’t forget the potential trade, type of trade, remarks, etc. and research the trade after getting the alert.

Since earnings announcement dates are not etched in stone for most tickers, you're probably going to have to write some code to pull it out of Vhq or Earnings Whisper or some such as others have suggested.  Writing code is way out of my paygrade.  But before you put in the effort, here's what I do:  My primary earnings list is previous SO trades and the weekly announcement coming from SO.  If I haven't found enough trades I really like, I'll run a search for tickers with weekly options and then tickers without weekly options.  I might be missing out by not looking at what did best last cycle, but I don't search the trades from the last earnings cycle specifically unless I'm out of ideas.  And of course, I'm certainly not the best trader here.  Long story short, everytime I think I need to cobble together some great piece of software or spreadsheet to solve a problem, if I wait a while, I realize I don't really need it.  After a while, you realize it's time to quit sharpening your axe and chop some wood.

I use chartaffair as you can set that to email you every day with the latest confirmed earnings dates froma list you supply it. Simply stick those in a spreadsheet (ticker and earnings date) and add a column that calulates the the earnings date - 7 days and sort on that. So each morning you add the lastest info from the email and order on the -7 column to see which tickers are now in play.