SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. TRY IT FREE!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Ringandpinion

Number of open positions, trade management

In my efforts to learn more, I do more trades and adjust $ allocation depending on confidence level of the specific trade.  All good.   Except, I end up with too many trades open and difficulty monitoring them.  I limit to 20 open trades now, not counting simple trades like short puts or long options and other oddballs.  I did get up to 30 once but it was just too much.  I find I'm leaving money on the table by setting GTC exits a little lower and not really monitoring the trade except pre-market.  I'm interested in others opinions, models, etc. on how they deal with so many trades and what their limits and methods are.  I try to do the SO official trades because they are so well followed that I always learn a lot, but I have my own open too.  Sitting here by myself, leaves little room for input, and the dog she ain't talking (if she does start talking, I'm starting my own show). 

Personally I take a rather simple approach based on the SO methodology: a full trade is 10% margin and a half trade is 5% Currently I have 12 trades open. I prefer to always have a 20%-30% cushion to avoid nasty surprises. This usually menas that I have more ideas than money available.........