SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Christof+

Chartaffair.com - RV Charts & Backtesting for Steady Options

291 posts in this topic

Some usability features:

On the earningscharts page use the navigation bar on the left side (avoids death-by-scrolling - the page is long with all content)

image.png

The symbols on the earnings chart page are links - a click opens the symbol's details.

image.png

Edited by Christof+

A few improvements I tried to do on RV charts:

When there are (or were in earlier times) no weekly options available, the next monthly expiry used in RV calculation we know can be further out than one week. Further out options have higher intrinsic value, leading to higher RV which can suggest that your (weekly) straddle candidate is a bargain when in fact it is not. Therefore, such 'further out' straddles are now plotted using dotted lines to indicate that their maturity is longer out than what is selected in the dropdown:

image.png

Two more things on RV charts:

Line Thickness depending on Market IV

To get a better feeling for the actual line with regard to the market IV regime in comparison to other cylces, the line thickness on the RV chart now corresponds to the market IV during the respective cycle (while each day's exact VIX value is contained in the hover legend):

image.png

The line thickness is currently determined as follows:
0% - 14% VIX -> 1 pt.
14% - 23% VIX -> 2 pt.
23% - 30% VIX -> 3 pt.
>30% -> 4pt.

Possibly other values make more sense. Let me know - it can be changed easily. Line thickness can easily be overlooked if you are not aware of it (thanks @ales19 for pointing it out).

Mean and Median

On every RV chart it is possible now to chose between the mean (as we had it before) and the median value as the average for the black line. Both will respect the excluded cycles from the dropdown (the average will recalculate when you add or delete a cycle in the dropdown, but not when you 'only' click on it in the legend)

image.png

image.png

Edited by Christof+

In the Historical Earnings Announcement section I have added a bar chart to compare the implied against the actual earnings move (intraday in lighter color, and at day end in stronger color graphically, and for a longer history in a table).

The blue dots represent VIX values, should help to see in one glance how the overall market IV may have influenced the implied move.

The pink numbers represent the remaining life of the options used to calculate the implied move at the time of the earnings announcement (TTM = time to maturity. If the TTM is further out, the implied move (IM) might be inflated).

image.png

So in the CCL example, you see in the top table that weekly options started trading in February 2017, which corresponds with the longer TTM values prior to 2017-03 in the chart above.

image.png

The pink numbers have caused some confusion, and I agree one needs to get used to it. I tried to add a '?' with tooltips everywhere. But if you still have a better idea please let me know.

Edited by Christof+

On the upcoming earnings page, I tried to come up with some additional numbers for trading calendars:

1) The average calendar RV rise over the last 8 cycles (CAL rise)

2) The 'volatility' of RV within cycles (we often use to go in and out several times during one cycle when trading a calendar. This should work better the more 'bouncy' a calendar is, i.e. you see higher and lower RV values taking turns within just a few days. CAL vola tries to capture this behaviour and make it comparable)

image.png

As before all columns can be filtered and sorted. This can help you for example when looking at sorted average straddle decay numbers when looking for candidates.

Thanks for all the careful feedback I am getting! To three suggestions I could respond rather quickly:

1) straddle and calendar graphs have now week markers (thanks @mimbe)

image.png

2) The IV over time graph now shows the trailing 2 years to display IV during different market environments (thanks @Yowster)

image.png

3) The filters on the upcoming earnings table are now above the table and the table will update only with pressing 'Search' (thanks Steve)

image.png

There is more to come but now need to take care of a seminar next week. Looks like I will be able to add some more pages to the site faster than expected. So will just let the beta phase continue for now...

@Christof+

two questions about rescaling straddle and calendar charts:

How do we rescale y-axis after eliminating unwanted outliers that make the chart hard to read?

How do we set a user-defined y-axis range, mostly for charts where the after-earnings action is so extreme that the pre-earnings part is hard to read?

Hi @trader212

1. & 2. Simply click and hold the left mouse button:  you can zoom in and maginfy any area of the chart you like
(a double click anywhere on the chart canvas will bring you back to full view)

image.png

Remember that by clicking on a line's legend entry this line is simply hidden on the chart. The graph itself does not recaluclate, and the average for instance (mean or median) will still be displayed including this line. It is only when you select one or more cycles in the 'Exclude individual EAs' dropdown that the chart data reloads, including the 'corrected' avg.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, Christof+ said:

Hi @trader212

1. & 2. Simply click and hold the left mouse button:  you can zoom in and maginfy any area of the chart you like
(a double click anywhere on the chart canvas will bring you back to full view)

image.png

Remember that by clicking on a line's legend entry this line is simply hidden on the chart. The graph itself does not recaluclate, and the average for instance (mean or median) will still be displayed including this line. It is only when you select one or more cycles in the 'Exclude individual EAs' dropdown that the chart data reloads, including the 'corrected' avg.

@Christof+ Any chance that the decay rate could be recalculated after removing cycles in 'Exclude individuals EAs from graph'?

@Alan sorry for my late reply. While the 'black line' as the graphical representation updates automatically when you remove a cycle (either as mean or median, whichever you chose) it it not possible to update the plain decay number in an easy way. But having both, the decay over the last 4 and the last 8 cycles will hopefully help in getting some 'grip' on the actual behaviour (will hiwever note it for possible future engancements)

Some news on the beta phase you might welcome:

The site is running pretty stable so far with some minor hickups still here and there. As announced it would be time to roll out the rest and start regular operations.

However: Things have started moving here with some projects, I now have the opportunity to do something I wanted to do since long (something I was not sure I would be able to do before my son actually starts school): I will take my family on an RV and sailing tour through Canada for the entire month of June. With a lot of nature and a lot of sailing - and often with little to no internet connectivity. So while I am looking forward to it, I have also chartaffair to take care.

You guys gave good feedback on the 'premium character' of chartaffair. I also expect it to continue running smoothly without me babysitting it during June. Even if not, I have a team of highly skilled people looking daily and being ready to jump in and help. But there might be situations I cannot ask from them to solve all by themselves, since I am still the one knowing the site best. In short, although unlikly, I cannot guarantee that in June there will not be a few days without failing updates etc.

Now, because I do not feel it is right to charge for a period which I cannot guarantee full functioning, and frankly also because I simply do not want to worry while traveling, I decided to give all beta testers one and a half months more of free access to the site as it is now. Also rolling out the final pages will be after I will be back.

Hi @Christof+  I really like the new site so far.   Good work.    Please enjoy your vacation and you can respond to this once you return.

(1) Can you separate out the straddle heat map for days T+1 and T+2 or give them their own heatmap format with different colors?   I have noticed these often have very large % increases which then distort the way the average returns are reported for days -20 through 0.   See image below where there are some decent straddle returns in day 0 but these are showing up in blue because the very large returns from T1+1 and T+2 are so large.

(2) Also, can you add a table for "median" return?  The average number is also distorted when you have one very large win or loss.

Thank you.

image.png

12 minutes ago, FrankTheTank said:

Hi @Christof+  I really like the new site so far.   Good work.    Please enjoy your vacation and you can respond to this once you return.

(1) Can you separate out the straddle heat map for days T+1 and T+2 or give them their own heatmap format with different colors?   I have noticed these often have very large % increases which then distort the way the average returns are reported for days -20 through 0.   See image below where there are some decent straddle returns in day 0 but these are showing up in blue because the very large returns from T1+1 and T+2 are so large.

(2) Also, can you add a table for "median" return?  The average number is also distorted when you have one very large win or loss.

Thank you.

image.png

This is something that i introduced on my website last year, i don't think anyone else did heatmap :https://steadyoptions.com/forums/forum/topic/3885-rv-charts-volatilityhqcom-official-thread/?do=findComment&comment=95365

Here is what the median return would show.

image.png

@FrankTheTank Thanks for your nice words, glad the code worked :)(at the moment from a laundry shop, currently about to leave the Rockies).

My goal with Chartaffair is to 'empower' especially small traders - who might not be so quant-savvy - with useful and high-quality tools. And I will add whatever serves this purpose.

Since you asked: Heatmaps have been asked for a lot for. So yes, of course I will add a heatmap section and more useful stuff after returning (in fact they are practically ready, not much is missing. What I can see already is that despite the large amounts of data page load times will be very good - just like the rest of the site has been so far).

I can see the issues you point to. It should be possible to change to median return and get the colors more defined. I need to add that the heatmap you can see now on the page, however, is basically only a toy to give a first impression, nothing more.

I just added a new backtest section with two pages to the website:

It allows to plot heatmaps (for straddles and different long call deltas for a start) of Returns...

image.png

... plus the Standard Deviation of Returns to show return variability across cycles...

image.png

... plus the Drawdown you would be exposed being invested in the strategy...

image.png

...drawdown can be plotted for being long and being short the strategy.

Edited by Christof+

1 hour ago, Christof+ said:

image.png

How do you define the drawdown ? If you enter at T-20 and exit at T-19, that's a 1 day holding. There are 3 losses with return -5.12%, -8.19% and -3.08%, i don't see how an average drawdown could be around -2.0%.

image.png

1 hour ago, Christof+ said:

...drawdown can be plotted for being long and being short the strategy.

Do you use margin to calculate the return when you have a short position ? Or you calculate the return based on the credit received ?
Here at SO, we typically calculate the return based on the margin, not the credit received.

@frank the tank What does that mean exactly < they skew> ?  In your last comment.

Since we close are trades before earnings I simply did not pay to much attention to those numbers. 

But

I notice some nice numbers at T-0 to T-2 on certain stock’s. And I was wondering why?

tank’s

What I meant was they impact the intensity of the colors.   For example, if you were only interested in pre-earnings, in the chart I posted the T-3 to T-2 should have a higher intesity of green because those had the highest returns pre-earnings but in my image they only show up as light green because the T-2 at 298 (which is likely a mistake) is so large that it messes with the intensity scale.

Its a minor feature request and I am sure Christof has more urgent things to work on :)

11 hours ago, FrankTheTank said:

Great work.   

Can you add a feature to toggle on/off the T-0 through T-2?     I would like to focus on just pre-earnings trades but the results for after earnings are so large they skew the heat map colors

@FrankTheTank Put it on the list. I will come up with something.

5 hours ago, Christof+ said:

@FrankTheTank Put it on the list. I will come up with something.

Thanks.   While you are at it....  :)

The backtest screener is a great addition but I find it hard to use practically.    One idea may be to have a custom screen called "Today's Opportunities" or  "This Week's Opportunities" which would be a pre-built custom screen showing all potential trades with:

-min. weekly volume of 500 contracts

-avg. return greater than 5%

-median return greater than 5%

-RVrel is less than +5%

-opening date (T-X) is Today or This week dedpending on the screen and regardless of exit date

This would show you quickly if there are any potential trades to be opened today or this week  :)

Thanks again.  

I just added a new menu item 'Email Notification'.

You are invited to try it out and give feedback.

I need to add though that this is quite an early beta and bit of an adventure testing the waters, as I have no clue if providers will actually relay these automated mails.

Please also double check all information received :)

Edited by Christof+

14 minutes ago, Christof+ said:

I just added a new menu item 'Email Notification'.

Thanks. I signed up for the emails, received the confirmation email, and verified it on a different PC. However the subsequent confirmation response then invited me to set up a pool of symbols, but since I wasn't logged on that machine, it lost that placeholder while making me log in. How can I set it up after the fact ?

Edit: Never mind. I found it on the same "Email Notifications page.

Edited by rasar
Answered my own question

I have a question I hope someone can help me with.  I just joined Chartaffair and love the data you get from it.  Really helps with the SO trades.  Here's my question.  The graphs are great for day to day views, but is there anyway to see the "highs & lows" of a calendar or straddle by each day?  I've seen some post charts like this on the SO blogs, but not sure if Chartaffairs has that ability.  I'd love to be able to see the highs & lows of a calendar over the past 20, 30 days or whatever.  I think this would be helpful for doing multiple iterations of a calendar trade.  I hope Chartaffairs has this but maybe I'm just not seeing it?  Thanks in advance for responses

Hi @J Carter thank you for your kind words and welcome! Glad you find it useful!

You are correct that RV charts show 'only' day end data (more exact mid of latest bid and ask). The problem around highs and lows in options prices is that there are mostly too little actual trades happening in one specific option to draw a meaningful chart from. Bid and ask spreads on the other hand fluctuate widely especially during the opening, which makes it a hard endeavor to derive useful intraday highs and lows.

What will be useful is to actually draw intraday prices over the course of the day. And it is really remarkable that you post that just now as I am just finishing and preparing to release a tool free for anyone to draw them either today or tomorrow! (it will use chartaffair API to fetch data but it will basically work even without a valid chartaffair subscription. It will be free for the community. You will need however API access to interactive brokers to make it work).