SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

FrankTheTank

PUTW underperformance?

I was excited to read about the new SO momentum fund as I have been thinking about doing some PUT writing on my retirement accounts.    I imagine when Wisdom Tree (very smart people) launched PUTW they had killer backtests and all the data suggesting returns should at least keep pace with the underlying but here is a chart of their fund vs. SPX since inception in 2016:

fvBiIs5d

I know the goal of put writing is not to necessarily increase returns but to reduce volatility and increase Sharpe but the image below shows PUTW has a lower Sharpe than just buy and hold SPY.   

Hoping @Jesse can shed some light on this as he studies these things......

image.png

@FrankTheTank, PUTW is the benchmark for our strategy (not an actual holding, meaning, we are trying to beat PUTW). It's the benchmark b/c it's an investable alternative that people could easily buy and hold. PUTW is attempting to track the CBOE put write index, which goes back to 1986 with a Sharpe of 0.66 vs. 0.50 for the S&P 500. You can see on the Steady Momentum strategy description page that the simple methods we'll actually be using would have boosted the Sharpe north of 0.8 during this period. 

The S&P 500 has produced one of it's best periods ever post financial crisis for risk adjusted returns. For example, since 2009 it has a Sharpe of 0.95,while it's long term Sharpe (1930-2018) is about 0.4. Expected returns for the S&P 500 are far less the next decade than the less decade, making put writing a potentially attractive diversifier.