SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Mattatut

Idea for letting people know of trades

With the market being so volatile I’ve missed many trades because I may have 3-4 straight hours of meetings and can’t check email or even if I do, I don’t have time to input the order into my phone. What about a text system that would allow you to send the notifications out to the members via text? Lots of websites who do similar things have this kind of service. Just a thought as I’ve missed a lot of trades because with the volatility sometimes the price in is way different only hours after you’ve entered it. 

Most people today have smartphones and emails are pushed to smartphone, so I don't see how text would be different. Also most service providers allow forwarding emails as text. Search the forum, it has been discussed several times.

In any case, the forum software doesn't allow sending texts, only emails.

14 hours ago, Kim said:

Most people today have smartphones and emails are pushed to smartphone, so I don't see how text would be different. Also most service providers allow forwarding emails as text. Search the forum, it has been discussed several times.

In any case, the forum software doesn't allow sending texts, only emails.

I understand what you’re saying....but if I’m in meetings about work, I can’t check my emails on my iPhone every 30 minutes or sometimes for hours as the meetings take precedent. If I had a text I could leave the room for any number of reasons for just long enough to make the trade and then hop back. My job running a healthcare system literally gives me 30 minutes a day where I don’t have meetings. That means I do all my emails during that time and at night. This has actually caused me to miss a ton of trades, because I just don’t know about them and a lot of times the price is much different by the time I see it, especially with this increased volatility. 

If the software doesn’t handle it, I get it. But that would be a very, very nice benefit IMO. 

Also, if you check recent trades, virtually ALL of them could be entered even after few hours or the next day at prices similar or better than the official price. And if the underlying price changes, you just use different strikes.

New members might also consider this is not an alert-service, or a 'blindly follow the alert without my own due diligence'-service.

When I just joined, I indeed treated it as such. But after some time it eventually dawned on me that I should learn from the alerts. And not blindly follow them. Although following the alerts can certainly be a profitable venture, even hours or days after an actual alert went out, the real value of this service is the knowledge that is shared on the boards. I am now able to set my own entries and exits, sometimes even before the alerts go out. I am still using the first post in each 'trade discussion'-topic as my main information source for placing my own trades (i.e. I am not searching for actionable trade candidates myself yet), and am doing just fine. 

For me, it is not an issue at all that I am only able to see trade alerts hours after they have been issued. Because, based on the discussion topic that preceded the alert I have already set my own entry criteria and will use those to enter the trade (have to confess that for the RICs I am still a bit at a loss, and am still learning).

New members, trust me: a missed alert really is no big deal.

BTW, lots of times I am not even able to get the fills Kim or Yowster get. No sweat. There will always be a next trade. Sometimes (not often) my fills are better, sometimes I miss altogether. But I never, ever chase. I used to do that, and got burned.

Kim et al are learning us to fish, they are not feeding us.

Edited by sakura

I had the same problem, but you can make one gmail only for SO and have gmail app on your mobile. You can also set up to forward to text message on your phone (sometimes it failed but still ok). I tested how quickly you can get push alarm for gmail app and get text and it was less than 1 min after sending email. Only one problem i had now is that it will drain battery faster than normal :) 

Edited by jung

9 hours ago, jung said:

I had the same problem, but you can make one gmail only for SO and have gmail app on your mobile. You can also set up to forward to text message on your phone (sometimes it failed but still ok). I tested how quickly you can get push alarm for gmail app and get text and it was less than 1 min after sending email. Only one problem i had now is that it will drain battery faster than normal :) 

If you don't mind can you please tell how do you push email from the Gmail app (I have it on my iphone) to text message on my phone ? Also how do you do the push alarm for gmail app ?

Thanks.

All new members, I strongly recommend reading what @sakurawrote. Those are wise words from someone who tried dozens trading services and finally found his home here. Members who follow his way are the most successful.  Concentrate on your learning, not  on how to react to trade alerts in the fastest possible way.

On 1/5/2019 at 5:15 PM, Mattatut said:

With the market being so volatile I’ve missed many trades because I may have 3-4 straight hours of meetings and can’t check email or even if I do, I don’t have time to input the order into my phone. What about a text system that would allow you to send the notifications out to the members via text? Lots of websites who do similar things have this kind of service. Just a thought as I’ve missed a lot of trades because with the volatility sometimes the price in is way different only hours after you’ve entered it. 

This community is VERY VERY against updating to the latest technology available for community building.  Many suggestions like this have been made since I've been part of it.  For very little money, a developer could be hired to build a notification portal for them to notify twitter, forums, slack, text, all from one interface, but for whatever reason they push back saying 'forums are best'.

4 minutes ago, clems said:

This community is VERY VERY against updating to the latest technology available for community building.  Many suggestions like this have been made since I've been part of it.  For very little money, a developer could be hired to build a notification portal for them to notify twitter, forums, slack, text, all from one interface, but for whatever reason they push back saying 'forums are best'.

What we are using IS the latest technology. The forum software (IPS) is one of the best (if not THE best) forum software available today. But obviously we cannot satisfy everyone. If people don't know how to use it and don't want to learn, it's not our fault. 

But yes, most of the community understands very clearly what SO is and what it isn't, as described by @sakura

P.S. Twitter IS used currently. And forwarding emails to text is VERY easy, as mentioned many times.

I too am a new member and was wanting text as well. I received a prompt response from Kim letting me know how to work around this. Again, let me state that the response came from as high up as you can go at SO, Kim. Try this with any option trading site regardless of cost. I have been with many option trading services that you will never have access to the person or persons making the trade recommendations and paid tens of thousands for the their service. 

Yes, I would still like text, but I have this wonderful access as well as someone teaching me why they are trading, how to do it on my own, all at a very reasonable price! If you have never looked around at the various other "experts" in the option advice business, I encourage you to. You don't know how lucky you are to have come across SO.

BTW - all those other services have text, but the information is generally not worth the text over time. Thank you SO no matter how I get the information.

12 hours ago, Kim said:

All new members, I strongly recommend reading what @sakurawrote. Those are wise words from someone who tried dozens trading services and finally found his home here. Members who follow his way are the most successful.  Concentrate on your learning, not  on how to react to trade alerts in the fastest possible way.

I understand the strategy, but like the OP, do something besides trade during the day.  Email doesn't get my attention.  Having to setup my own janky notification system (which doesn't work well for mobile  due to no alerts in the actual email) or having to install twitter JUST for this is not acceptable to me.  I'll be letting my subscription lapse for this 1 reason.  I can adjust positions and modify, but want the signals to avoid the time required to find them myself.

4 hours ago, Kim said:

What we are using IS the latest technology. The forum software (IPS) is one of the best (if not THE best) forum software available today. But obviously we cannot satisfy everyone. If people don't know how to use it and don't want to learn, it's not our fault. 

But yes, most of the community understands very clearly what SO is and what it isn't, as described by @sakura

P.S. Twitter IS used currently. And forwarding emails to text is VERY easy, as mentioned many times.

I get it. You are old school.  it's fine.

3 minutes ago, clems said:

I understand the strategy, but like the OP, do something besides trade during the day.  Email doesn't get my attention.  Having to setup my own janky notification system (which doesn't work well for mobile  due to no alerts in the actual email) or having to install twitter JUST for this is not acceptable to me.  I'll be letting my subscription lapse for this 1 reason.  I can adjust positions and modify, but want the signals to avoid the time required to find them myself.

That's fine. As I said, cannot satisfy everyone. And cannot force people to make money. I'm pretty sure most people would prefer a service that might not have all the bells and whistles but is making them money, than vice versa.

image.png

24 minutes ago, clems said:

Email is reliable, and if you are ''new school'' you should be pragmatic and find a solution that works for you. 

3 hours ago, clems said:

btw, as mentioned in How To Use The Forum there are also two more Notification settings: instant notifications and HTML5 browser notifications. Members can now get pop-up notifications even when not active in that window at the time.

So in addition to regular email and Twitter (which takes 30 seconds to set up), you can also get pop-up notifications, select their frequency, select what and how to follow etc.

But you are right, very old school. And if being old school is our only sin and the 1 reason you are cancelling, then I can sleep very well at night.

I use an app on my phone called enotify which scans the emails of my gmail account every couple of minutes.  I have it set up to only notify me of a SO email, when I receive an email I get a phone notification alert just like a text alert. Works very well.

Any news on someone looking into updating SO Website Settings (i.e. - MX A returning a CNAME), which prevents my email provider from allowing it through their servers.

I still don't receive any Steady Options email (since sign up).    

I have a Microsoft Exchange account through "1 and 1 IONOS" - very large provider.  Does anyone else use them and receive Email?    

Thanks!

The link (showing the SO domain issue) I shared when signing up:  https://intodns.com/steadyoptions.com

I will follow up, but meanwhile as I mentioned you can change emails. We don't really have control over why some service providers reject our emails, but all major emails (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, outlook etc.) work with no issues.