SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. TRY IT FREE!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Welcome to Steady Futures

324 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Jjapp said:

We actually use multiple expirations merged together and backwards adjusted to account for rolls etc.  Otherwise we would run into issues with contract price jumps etc when looking at the time series.

Gotcha. But with old crop versus new crop (and again I have very little experience with this) isn't it as if you're fundamentally targeting two different "products" in a sense when you merge those expirations? One has a known quantity as I understand it whereas the other does not so it seems like there's a lot of seasonality/dynamics going on with the interplay between the two. Naturally the multiple expirations makes total sense for normal contracts, I'm just curious how this works with the grain markets specifically and if it might actually be a wrinkle in the system design that needs to be ironed out.

 

https://rjofutures.rjobrien.com/market-news/2015/06/26/old-crop-vs-new-crop/

Edited by ex3y7s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's an issue since we're chaining them together as one expires and the other begins.  We're using a fairly standard roll method (I didn't do anything new for that).  What's important is the price changes (not levels) and linking them and backwards adjusting should account for what you're calling out.

Seasonality is something that will get picked up in the model if you go long term enough.  Our lookback period is roughly six months so we're probably not getting too much of that in our current model.  We are looking at adding a longer term time series forecast over the top of our current model which would catch seasonality if it exists but that is still in development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotcha--in that case it seems like always using the most liquid options would be the way to go. Are the ones currently being used, which are not, chosen simply because that's what comes up by default in IB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In general I'd say trade the most liquid under all our normal constraints.  Not sure about this week.  In IB it is a check box in the corner (at least in my setup).  We may have missed it.  I'll go back and look.  At the end of the day as long as you're not losing to a wide bid-ask you should be ok but yes, I try and use the most liquid available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any thoughts on adding copper or silver to hedge gold?  The liquidity appears ok in both, but better in copper, which looking at a front month continuous chart seems to break from gold more often and in sharper moves. 

I"ve attached two charts.  one with all 3 metals and another with just gold and copper. 

I know your trying to maintain a 25k allocation....

cme_metals.png

metals_comparison_chart.png

gc_vs._hg.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll run them through our position sizing model and if they look ok I'll add them as a test to this week's forecast run.  We'll hold off on trading them officially until we get a chance to try trading them unofficially for a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jjapp said:

I'll run them through our position sizing model and if they look ok I'll add them as a test to this week's forecast run.  We'll hold off on trading them officially until we get a chance to try trading them unofficially for a week.

would there be an issue adjusting the model portfolio $ amount up to accommodate a few more underlyings?  I know recently a member mentioned adding currencies and the 25k allocation was becoming an issue. ( if of course adding them makes sense in your system)

Edited by lrfsdad
added content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The system has been traded in a 50k model portfolio since August.  

 

We went with 25k to make it more accessible to more members but obviously that will inhibit our ability to add more contracts over time.

 

we could consider adding an “unofficial trades” thread and posting other signals for larger portfolios.  Right now the only other contract in the 50k is ES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, RapperT said:

 

we could consider adding an “unofficial trades” thread and posting other signals for larger portfolios.  Right now the only other contract in the 50k is ES

That would be nice as I like the analysis you do.  Then I guess if you added some currencies, how do you diversify?  European currencies only? Such as pound and euro?  Or if yen and euro have most liquid options just trade the 2 and with them being 2 different continents this would be diversified?  All have had some decent trends the last 6 months, but a qwik glance at a chart doesn't always clarify the magnitude of the move (was it enough to even off set theta) and I dont know the time frame your using for entries which could mean lots of "whipsaw" in a slowly trending mkt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jjapp said:

I'll run them through our position sizing model and if they look ok I'll add them as a test to this week's forecast run.  We'll hold off on trading them officially until we get a chance to try trading them unofficially for a week.

even if they are in an unofficial thread i would be very interested in a silver signal. another group I follow which uses Elliott Waves says silver is about to break out so it would be nice to have a more risk managed way of investing in silver other than buying straight futures contracts as the EW guys are (obviously) not always 100% right in their predictions.

Edited by ales19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have a lot of experience personally trading currencies, we would have to look at correlations between various contracts.  Definitely a good addition to a TF system and most of the big shops are trading them.

 

We will see some additions soon and we can look at posting signals for non portfolio contracts.  Have to chat about that one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 9:25 PM, RapperT said:

The system has been traded in a 50k model portfolio since August.  

 

We went with 25k to make it more accessible to more members but obviously that will inhibit our ability to add more contracts over time.

 

we could consider adding an “unofficial trades” thread and posting other signals for larger portfolios.  Right now the only other contract in the 50k is ES

Just my two cents but I think it would make most sense to increase the size of the model portfolio if required to add more contracts, given that a portfolio we expect to perform better is the ultimate goal and while it may make the portfolio less attractive/accessible to some, it will go the opposite direction for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silver and copper are getting added this weekend to our database so the first forecast for them will be next week.  Position size could be an issue with them so we'll watch it for a while prior to deciding whether or not to add them to the official trades.

 

For currencies the faster way for us to do this would be to trade the currency futures options vs the crosses.  We do need to think through that a bit before rolling it out.  For example, being long the Euro and being long the Australian dollar is functionally equivalent to just having a bigger short position in the US dollar if I'm thinking about this correctly.  I would like to think about that a bit more before we roll something out.  Currency futures require no new code though so I can do that more quickly than figuring out how to handle the FX market directly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 6:01 PM, lrfsdad said:

would there be an issue adjusting the model portfolio $ amount up to accommodate a few more underlyings?  I know recently a member mentioned adding currencies and the 25k allocation was becoming an issue. ( if of course adding them makes sense in your system) 

We can accommodate more underlyings.  The issue with portfolio size really has to do with how it affects our target delta.  We're already targeting a 2% max risk per position which is considered aggressive in trendfollowing.  For some underlyings that comes out to a target delta below 0.10 for the options trade.  I don't like being that far out of the money.  Adding them to the model is easy though and we could think about how to publish them.  Then if you're trading with a larger account you would just multiply our target delta by the appropriate factor to get your position size. 

We are continuing to add more contracts though.  We're just trying to be careful and not launch a whole bunch in one week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jjapp said:

We can accommodate more underlyings.  The issue with portfolio size really has to do with how it affects our target delta.  We're already targeting a 2% max risk per position which is considered aggressive in trendfollowing.  For some underlyings that comes out to a target delta below 0.10 for the options trade.  I don't like being that far out of the money.  Adding them to the model is easy though and we could think about how to publish them.  Then if you're trading with a larger account you would just multiply our target delta by the appropriate factor to get your position size. 

We are continuing to add more contracts though.  We're just trying to be careful and not launch a whole bunch in one week. 

Yeah good point--that's another argument for increasing the size of the model portfolio though, right? If adding underlyings reduces the target delta for the smaller portfolio too much we're going to have a hard time profiting even when trending.

Edited by ex3y7s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick note on this week's signals.  Hogs have been limit up for two days now.  We are long so this is great news but the quotes look crazy so far this morning.  If it goes limit up again today we may not be able to roll like normal to the correct delta. If we can we will but if it goes limit up we may need to wait until next week.

 

Just giving everyone a heads up.  This is a high class problem.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ex3y7s said:

Yeah good point--that's another argument for increasing the size of the model portfolio though, right? If adding underlyings reduces the target delta for the smaller portfolio too much we're going to have a hard time profiting even when trending.

For now we have to stick with 25k for what we are doing here on Steady Options.  We will talk to @Kim about some options for larger accounts when we start the subscription but i dont see any reason why we cant post deltas and contracts for a larger model account.

 

For many this is an introduction to both futures and trendfollowing.  Obviously there are some with more experience and/or larger accounts (or both)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jjapp said:

 

 

For currencies the faster way for us to do this would be to trade the currency futures options vs the crosses.  We do need to think through that a bit before rolling it out.  For example, being long the Euro and being long the Australian dollar is functionally equivalent to just having a bigger short position in the US dollar if I'm thinking about this correctly.  I would like to think about that a bit more before we roll something out.  Currency futures require no new code though so I can do that more quickly than figuring out how to handle the FX market directly. 

I'm seeing $0.02 spreads on eur, jpy and aud options.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ales19 said:

@Jjapp , when you have the chance, can you update the trade stats thread, if i have it correct we should be back in the black after this week (unless I forgot something)

We are posting monthly summaries at Kim’s request so it would be next weekend that we update for March.

 

but one of us can give an overall snapshot before then.. I’m not at my computer now though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RapperT said:

We are posting monthly summaries at Kim’s request so it would be next weekend that we update for March.

 

but one of us can give an overall snapshot before then.. I’m not at my computer now though 

Oh right, i must have missed that. I thought we were doing one entry per month with edit-updates each week.

On a separate note, do you track the VIX futures contract and/or plan to add it to the mix in the future? I dont know if it trends well enough for the system or if the trends are too “spikey” and thus not suited for this type of system, but i fugured that tha would definitely be one that moves 😂

Edited by ales19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.