SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

950 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Djtux said:

Also i can potentially add a default settings in the user profile page so that each user has its own preference.

That would be a fantastic enhancement that would probably improve functionality for everyone. For example I want to always use a start date of 2018-01-01, to show stock price changes and use a T-x of 40, so these parameters I have to reset every time I go from the scanner to another page. A minor irritation, but if I could set those as defaults it would be a big help.

I opened 5 windows of Vhq and set them each the way I wanted them, Straddle Chart, Straddle Matrix, Calendar Chart, Calendar Matrix, Call Ratio.  Then saved them as bookmarks to a folder and reload them every morning, it keeps the settings that way.  This does not help the super VIX spikes as the earnings date changes with each stock but it does set all the others.  That was my work around.  But I really like the idea of a user profile, it would be a great enhancement to an already great site.

@Djtux How do you suggest using the Standard Deviation (the second one) on the return matrix for Straddles?    It might be showing exactly what I have been looking for -- but can't quite figure it out. 

For example, for the T13 row/T12 column, what does the 3.3 signify?  Is it saying it is the median movement of 3.3% of the underlying from EOD T13 to EOD T12?  Or is it 3.3% movement of the price of the straddle? Or something else?

image.png

Thanks in advance.

Edited by nrexpress

On 4/2/2021 at 10:38 AM, nrexpress said:

@Djtux How do you suggest using the Standard Deviation (the second one) on the return matrix for Straddles?    It might be showing exactly what I have been looking for -- but can't quite figure it out. 

For example, for the T13 row/T12 column, what does the 3.3 signify?  Is it saying it is the median movement of 3.3% of the underlying from EOD T13 to EOD T12?  Or is it 3.3% movement of the price of the straddle? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.

It's the standard deviation of the returns to try to get an idea of how dispersed the returns are 

image.png

Here is the same calculation in excel :

image.png

35 minutes ago, Yowster said:

@Djtux Take a look at SPCE, the current cycle is not appearing on the RV charts.  MRNA, UBER are others.

Thanks, i will look into it. Seems one of the provider is not giving the next earning date as usual. Strange.

4 minutes ago, Yowster said:

Thanks, note that there are a bunch of them with this problem as I was going through early May earnings stocks (I just stopped listing all of them in this thread).

Yes i noticed that as well, i'm implementing a fallback where i detect that the primary provider doesn't provide a next earning date, and try to get the next earning date from another provider.

2 hours ago, Djtux said:

Yes i noticed that as well, i'm implementing a fallback where i detect that the primary provider doesn't provide a next earning date, and try to get the next earning date from another provider.

The fix has been implemented and deployed. Let me know if you see missing current cycle / current earning date.

I hope that this is the forum where I can ask my question. What actually volatilityHQ means by the chart that shows the VIX of the individual stock? To me VIX is a measure of the whole market volatility an it doesn't apply to one stock only. So in this instance is the volatilityHQ chart showing the historical volatility of a stock or the historical IV of the stock? Or is it another measure of risk? Thank you in advance for your help.

13 minutes ago, Denver said:

I hope that this is the forum where I can ask my question. What actually volatilityHQ means by the chart that shows the VIX of the individual stock? To me VIX is a measure of the whole market volatility an it doesn't apply to one stock only. So in this instance is the volatilityHQ chart showing the historical volatility of a stock or the historical IV of the stock? Or is it another measure of risk? Thank you in advance for your help.

It just shows the VIX as it was for each day for that stock during the last 8 earning cycles. It can sometime help explain why the RV is far than usual.

4 minutes ago, Denver said:

Thank you. So that is the historical volatility for one individual stock, right? I am just having a hard time as to me the VIX term applies only to an index.

No, its the VIX you are talking about, the index.   It's there for a simple correlation between the stock RV and what the VIX happened to be on that cycle - so you can easily see if elevated RV correlates to elevated VIX.

1 minute ago, Yowster said:

No, its the VIX you are talking about, the index.   It's there for a simple correlation between the stock RV and what the VIX happened to be on that cycle - so you can easily see if elevated RV correlates to elevated VIX.

Actually, would it be worthwhile (probably depending on difficulty on his part) to flag if the underlying is a part of the S&P500?

I'm now wondering if we even look at underlings that aren't, just because we tend to require a certain amount of liquidity. 

The secondary question would be if there was an easy API pull for the current weight within S&P500? As that could easily be a consideration for how strongly VIX would correlate. Just an assumption, but a pretty straightforward one. 

Recent new member here.

What is the latest deal? I am subscribed Steady options member. Do members here get a discount at www.volatilityhq.com/  and how do we go about it? Sorry, I searched Forums and could not find the answer.

Also, would it be fair to say, without a membership at www.volatilityhq.com/ one can not really follow or participate in Steady options trades?

Edited by Paul Young

30 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Recent new member here.

What is the latest deal? I am subscribed Steady options member. Do members here get a discount at www.volatilityhq.com/  and how do we go about it? Sorry, I searched Forums and could not find the answer.

Go to the first post of this thread : https://steadyoptions.com/forums/forum/topic/3885-volatilityhqcom-official-thread/

You will find a coupon.

31 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Also, would it be fair to say, without a membership at www.volatilityhq.com/ one can not really follow or participate in Steady options trades?

That's not for me to answer as i'm obviously biased.

36 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Recent new member here.

You don't have to have a charting service to prosper at Steady Options.  It just makes it easier and less time consuming.  Similar profits were had before the charts like this came available.  There is 10 years of history on the site where you can find where good entry and exit points have been.  Most of the time when a trade is in the discussion phase a price based on a percentage of the current stock price is mentioned.  3 seconds with a calculator tells you roughly where a good entry would be.  Scroll through the history, keep some notes.  Most trades are repeated each quarter so after awhile you know what a good price is. After awhile when you understand the strategies well you will find the price of the service well worth it because of the time saved, especially looking for trades that aren't official.SO trades.

@Djtux

Sorry I think I have asked this before but does the profit matrix for calendars default to the spread width of whatever the software thinks is the next monthly long leg?  So for NFLX right now it is trying to plot the pnl of a 13 week spread?

image.pngimage.png

If so, would you be able to create a drop down box in the profit matrix to manually change the spread width to a custom interval such as 2 week width?  or, put this on a new page?    It seems like you have all the data and the functionality to quickly plot varying spread widths but the user cannot adjust this.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, FrankTheTank said:

So for NFLX right now it is trying to plot the pnl of a 13 week spread?

The heatmap is selecting a little bit differently.

For each cycle, at T-20 i look at the available expiries at that date and select the first expiries after the earning as the short leg, and the following monthly for the long leg.

So between cycles, it might not be exactly the same number of weeks between the legs.

18 minutes ago, FrankTheTank said:

If so, would you be able to create a drop down box in the profit matrix to manually change the spread width to a custom interval such as 2 week width?  or, put this on a new page?    It seems like you have all the data and the functionality to quickly plot varying spread widths but the user cannot adjust this.

It's possible, but i will have to think about the performance and the storage of all the different combinations. 

54 minutes ago, Djtux said:

The heatmap is selecting a little bit differently.

For each cycle, at T-20 i look at the available expiries at that date and select the first expiries after the earning as the short leg, and the following monthly for the long leg.

So between cycles, it might not be exactly the same number of weeks between the legs.

It's possible, but i will have to think about the performance and the storage of all the different combinations. 

Thanks.   In the meantime could you add in a note of what the spread width is or the expiration dates for each leg so that we know what we are looking at in the backtest?  Here is an example:  

image.png

On 1/7/2020 at 12:00 PM, Djtux said:

I've implemented both the 'min RV for the current cycle', as well as the average and the percentile.

It's there for the straddle and put calendars.

That doesn't exist for now. I can add that to my todo list, not sure when i will have time for that.

If someone else has the same need, please let me know by liking the post.

"I've implemented both the 'min RV for the current cycle', as well as the average and the percentile."

Where can I find this ? I looked around in "Settings", and on individual calendar charts but could not see this. Thanks.

Hello, I am reading this thread from start to finish multiple times and had a basic question below with IBM as an example.

1) With the strangle credit below (18), if the RV charts of the previous cycles are kind of flat from T-18 to T-1 like below, does it mean IBM is a good candidate for a short strangle using the straddle chart below

2) If the current cycle RV is less than the median or mean RV at T-18 and also if previous RV cycles were rising up to T-0 on a calendar chart, then IBM is a good candidate for a calendar instead of a short strangle.

3) If the RV of the previous cycles show a change of more than 10% on the straddle chart below instead of flat, then IBM is a good candidate for a long straddle ?

image.png

7 hours ago, Manish71 said:

"I've implemented both the 'min RV for the current cycle', as well as the average and the percentile."

Where can I find this ? I looked around in "Settings", and on individual calendar charts but could not see this. Thanks.

This shows up in the scanner page.  It was a new column he added.  I find it helpful because it lets me see what RV may be "low" for a current cycle and that may indicate a good entry time.  

@Djtux For a calendar one of the criteria is when the RV of the current cycle is below the average RV. So in the chart below, can we have a email alert from volatilityhq when the RV of the current cycle falls below the average RV like on T-24 ? It will give alerts for the tickers you specify. Is this possible ? Thanks.

newplot (9).png

9 hours ago, Manish71 said:

For a calendar one of the criteria is when the RV of the current cycle is below the average RV. So in the chart below, can we have a email alert from volatilityhq when the RV of the current cycle falls below the average RV like on T-24 ? It will give alerts for the tickers you specify. Is this possible ? Thanks.

For the moment, the data is only EOD (end of day), so there is no way to get a realtime email alert. 

You could download the excel spreadsheet from the scanner and compare the columns for the average RV vs the current RV.

Or for realtime monitoring, you could take a look at (if you use IB) https://steadyoptions.com/forums/forum/topic/6710-gf58s-intraday-rv-monitor-for-interactive-brokers/

On 5/2/2021 at 2:23 AM, Manish71 said:

1) With the strangle credit below (18), if the RV charts of the previous cycles are kind of flat from T-18 to T-1 like below, does it mean IBM is a good candidate for a short strangle using the straddle chart below

2) If the current cycle RV is less than the median or mean RV at T-18 and also if previous RV cycles were rising up to T-0 on a calendar chart, then IBM is a good candidate for a calendar instead of a short strangle.

3) If the RV of the previous cycles show a change of more than 10% on the straddle chart below instead of flat, then IBM is a good candidate for a long straddle ?

That would be best asked on the SO forum thread directly, as this thread is public and you ask about the strategies.

1 hour ago, GOA said:

@Djtux I could not find the place to enter the discount coupon. Does that happen after the card details are entered? Thanks

Yes, you need to enter your credit card first before you see the textbox to enter the coupon code.

Hi @Djtux

Sorry for bugging you with more feature requests again but just wanted to see what was on your radar and what may be coming next.  

*It would be great to have the pnl matrix chart added into the straddle and calendar RV pages to avoid having to flip between two different pages on the site.

*Could there be a toggle to not include first half of 2020 in the scanner and RV results?  That seems to really be messing up some of the average and median RV numbers by over inflating them.  

*If we could let the scanner pull in all available long legs for calendars instead of only seeing the monthly expiration as the long, even if it means there may be some stocks listed several times (one row for each calendar width).  

I know you are super busy but this is really such a great tool and I would be happy to pay more for it.  I hope you don't lose interest.  Thanks again!

Edited by FrankTheTank

On 7/2/2021 at 9:17 AM, FrankTheTank said:

I know you are super busy but this is really such a great tool and I would be happy to pay more for it.  I hope you don't lose interest.  Thanks again!

Yes there is some work done in the background like resolving data importing issues, or keeping the servers updated, keep the code up to date.

You would think that keeping the code up to date would be easy, but actually sometimes 3rd parties code that i use make some breaking changes that require sometime time consuming code change on my side.

Your suggestions make a lot of sense, i will definitely implement them whenever i can.

3 minutes ago, Ringandpinion said:

@Djtux I'm getting an error on the Straddle RV chart, no matter what ticker, I did about 6 or 8 of popular stocks to check.  I refreshed, reset, anything I could think of.  Still get the error.

Ooops!!! 500

I'm looking at that. Thanks. I did some improvements during the weekend, but the website was working properly, not sure what's the problem.

6 minutes ago, Ringandpinion said:

@Djtux I'm getting an error on the Straddle RV chart, no matter what ticker, I did about 6 or 8 of popular stocks to check.  I refreshed, reset, anything I could think of.  Still get the error.

Ooops!!! 500

Ah seems to happen when 'Colorblind palette' is enabled.

13 minutes ago, Ringandpinion said:

I can kill the CBP for now.  I saw the calendar return matrix upgrade, figured you'd been working on it.  No good deed goes unpunished.

I've done some purely technical work as well, so it's not related to the calendar return matrix work.

3 hours ago, Ringandpinion said:

Ooops!!! 500

2 hours ago, Djtux said:

Ah seems to happen when 'Colorblind palette' is enabled.

Should be fixed now.

Front end question.

When I look for candidates for the various strategies I tend to look at a set number of pages generated by Vol HQ:

image.png

Right now I will type in the ticker in one of the pages - usually the Ratio Calc one as it takes longest to load - and then copy paste the ticker onto the other pages. This is - frankly - a bit of a nuisance. Would it be possible to have a page where you could enter a ticker and then select - through check box or other convenient system - what outputs you want to examine?

I realise this could cause load issues on your server however its not the speed of output that bothers me but the copypaste and flicking through the pages. Thanks for looking at it.

1 hour ago, TrustyJules said:

Front end question.

When I look for candidates for the various strategies I tend to look at a set number of pages generated by Vol HQ:

image.png

Right now I will type in the ticker in one of the pages - usually the Ratio Calc one as it takes longest to load - and then copy paste the ticker onto the other pages. This is - frankly - a bit of a nuisance. Would it be possible to have a page where you could enter a ticker and then select - through check box or other convenient system - what outputs you want to examine?

I realise this could cause load issues on your server however its not the speed of output that bothers me but the copypaste and flicking through the pages. Thanks for looking at it.

Agreed, you are not the only one that raised that issue.

I have yet to come up with a good way to deal with it that doesn't require a major code rewrite.

2 minutes ago, TrustyJules said:

My idea would be to make it a separate page that just opens up tabs with the requested pages inserting the ticker. This is much like a macro and I am aware of people with python scripts who could run it on a any specific set of pages.

Problem with this is that it will open up the default settings for that page. So it might not be useful for someone that want to keep some personalized settings.

1 minute ago, Djtux said:

Problem with this is that it will open up the default settings for that page. 

Well I use mainly default settings EXCEPT for Ratio Calc where I allow 10 delta difference options. For the return matrix I will use the LongStock one and/or straddle but these are still inputs that could be given at the outset

My workaround for settings has been to set a separate page for each item, usually 5 pages, get each one setup like I want, then do what @TrustyJules does with cut and paste.  I don't use any pages totally default.  But if I bookmark each page with the correct settings then just hit open all pages in my bookmark folder for Vhq, I get everything back for my morning setup.  This is especially important because my brain doesn't really work well that early.