SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

950 posts in this topic

Guest Cashflows

Love the idea of calendar strategies being added! In the future it would be cool if you could add Contango Vix strategy.

10 hours ago, Cashflows said:

Love the idea of calendar strategies being added! In the future it would be cool if you could add Contango Vix strategy.

For the calendar, i assume you are thinking about the return matrix page ? Because for the RV charts it is already supported.

For contango vix strategy, what do you mean ? Note that i don't have futures data at this moment and it is not cheap either.

Guest Cashflows

It would be great if you could add it to return scanner next to the straddles. Additionally it would be really nice if it was added to return matrix as a strategy. The workflow in my mind would be to use the return scanner to see what is coming up and filter down for nice high profit calendars. Click the link text and have it take me to the appropriate return matrix to compare the best entry/exit and see the results of the last x cycles. This way you could check if it you new exact symbol via or just want to see what targets the strategy has worked for on the past.

2018-04-16_0831.png

2018-04-16_0833.png

1 minute ago, Cashflows said:

It would be great if you could add it to return scanner next to the straddles. Additionally it would be really nice if it was added to return matrix as a strategy. The workflow in my mind would be to use the return scanner to see what is coming up and filter down for nice high profit calendars. Click the link text and have it take me to the appropriate return matrix to compare the best entry/exit and see the results of the last x cycles. This way you could check if it you new exact symbol via or just want to see what targets the strategy has worked for on the past.

2018-04-16_0831.png

2018-04-16_0833.png

Yes calendars for pre-earnings is in the roadmap for the return matrix and return scanner, but i haven't started that yet, i have many other things to do before that.

The post-earnings iron condor/iron butterfly would also be a nice addition.

Guest Cashflows

You are right I suggest skip the futures no point in adding extra expenses. Straddles and Calendars are bread and butter stick with that or maybe some theta positive ones like iron condor or such.

On 3/19/2018 at 8:35 AM, Sirion said:

I'd think the most useful iteration would be to keep a floating tracker of which sources have confirmed. If #1 previously confirmed, then #4, refresh the "ticker" and have #1, #4 under source column. Maybe bold #1 to indicate it's the most recent and update the timer for it?  Personally, I feel more confident using multiple confirmations - I know you show this on the Straddle page, but the return matrix doesn't have that feature yet (maybe worth copying that code over if it isn't resource intensive?)

Does it ever happen that they confirm different dates? (ie, somebody messed up)

(also, I have no idea which sources are which number, though I'm sure you're consistent throughout the site :P )  

Thanks for the quick response!

@Djtux

Another quick suggestion for the earnings feed page: Any easy way to filtering for volume/liquidity? Secondly, somewhat related as it's strongly correlated with liquidity, any way to filter for weeklies availability?

59 minutes ago, Sirion said:

@Djtux

Another quick suggestion for the earnings feed page: Any easy way to filtering for volume/liquidity? Secondly, somewhat related as it's strongly correlated with liquidity, any way to filter for weeklies availability?

I have the data, so definitely possible, i will add that to my todo list.

3 minutes ago, Sirion said:

Can we have last cycle max move on the return scanner table please?

Same column and same data as the last cycle max move that is in the 'scanner' but that would be added to the 'return scanner' ?

2 minutes ago, Djtux said:

Same column and same data as the last cycle max move that is in the 'scanner' but that would be added to the 'return scanner' ?

Yes, that's the one. Price effect might be useful too, if it's just a matter of c&ping some code over :P

Just curious, do you have update notes or anything somewhere?

I ask mostly because if you roll out a new feature, it'd be nice to check it out and see if it's useful for me in particular - and it'd give people a chance to give some quick feedback on something you just worked on

1 minute ago, Sirion said:

Just curious, do you have update notes or anything somewhere?

I ask mostly because if you roll out a new feature, it'd be nice to check it out and see if it's useful for me in particular - and it'd give people a chance to give some quick feedback on something you just worked on

For now, i just post any updates about the website in this thread. So if you follow this thread, you should receive a notification.

I've done that in the past as others asked for the same legitime request (know when a new feature is added).

Sometimes i work on the backend : could be data ingestion, maintenance of all the AWS servers/services, etc. And i don't always communicate on that, as i assume people expect a service that just works.

Just now, Djtux said:

For now, i just post any updates about the website in this thread. So if you follow this thread, you should receive a notification.

I've done that in the past as others asked for the same legitime request (know when a new feature is added).

Sometimes i work on the backend : could be data ingestion, maintenance of all the AWS servers/services, etc. And i don't always communicate on that, as i assume people expect a service that just works.

Sounds good! Yeah, I don't think we need updates on backend or typo/formatting fixes :P 

I'll make sure to follow.

Hi @Djtux, first off, great website, just keeps getting better and better. You and your group are certainly putting a lot of time and work into it. 

Something I would be interested in seeing in the future (if possible) is to remove a data set from the average line calculation. In this example, the 2-9-2017 (brown line) appears to be bad data and is "throwing off" the average line calculation. I know you can hide that data line, but it is still calculated in the average. Just something I would like to have in the future. 

Capture.JPG

4 hours ago, craigsmith said:

In this example, the 2-9-2017 (brown line) appears to be bad data and is "throwing off" the average line calculation. I know you can hide that data line, but it is still calculated in the average.

That facility is already there. Just click on the 'Advanced Options' button, then select a Start Date which is one day  AFTER that erroneous brown line date (2-9-2017) and the average line will now only use the cycles after this date. I'm sure Djtux will correct me if I've got this wrong.

start_date.PNG

6 hours ago, craigsmith said:

Hi @Djtux, first off, great website, just keeps getting better and better. You and your group are certainly putting a lot of time and work into it. 

Something I would be interested in seeing in the future (if possible) is to remove a data set from the average line calculation. In this example, the 2-9-2017 (brown line) appears to be bad data and is "throwing off" the average line calculation. I know you can hide that data line, but it is still calculated in the average. Just something I would like to have in the future. 

Thank you for the support, this is what makes this community great. I love getting feedbacks as no software is ever perfect and usually no feedbacks means it's not used.

I believe other members raised similar requests : remove 1 specific cycle, export the data to csv, make the Y-axis of the RV chart fixed in height (so that it's easier to visually compare several tickers).

The ticker was NVDA ? I will double check why there was the outlier, seems a bit strange, or maybe the company confirmed an earning date that wasn't expected by market makers.

1 hour ago, zxcv64 said:

That facility is already there. Just click on the 'Advanced Options' button, then select a Start Date which is one day  AFTER that erroneous brown line date (2-9-2017) and the average line will now only use the cycles after this date. I'm sure Djtux will correct me if I've got this wrong.

Thanks for the help. I think it's just a workaround for now as you might exclude too many cycles. Imagine the last cycle was an outlier, then there is no way to exclude that one.

On 4/23/2018 at 2:08 PM, Sirion said:

Can we have last cycle max move on the return scanner table please?

On 4/23/2018 at 2:15 PM, Sirion said:

Yes, that's the one. Price effect might be useful too, if it's just a matter of c&ping some code over :P

That should be available on the return scanner page. There is 2 new columns : price effect and max move. It's the same columns that were available in the 'scanner' page.

Just now, craigsmith said:

@Djtux Yes, the ticker on that screenshot is NVDA. I didn't remember seeing that request being asked already, sorry for the repetition.

You were right to report it. I was just mentioning that you are not the only one to experience that :).

@DjtuxSome charts have 1-2 outliers which makes it difficult to read the chart. For example:

image.png

Is there a way to remove some cycles, or at least to re-scale the chart (in this case I would like to see up to 0.40% RV)?

8 minutes ago, Kim said:

@DjtuxSome charts have 1-2 outliers which makes it difficult to read the chart. For example:

Is there a way to remove some cycles, or at least to re-scale the chart (in this case I would like to see up to 0.40% RV)?

For now, if you are on desktop, you can select with a left click mouse an area of interest while holding down the left button. You can dezoom by double clicking.

27 minutes ago, Djtux said:

This is in the first post : https://steadyoptions.com/forums/forum/topic/3885-rv-charts-volatilityhqcom-official-thread/

The regular monthly price might be increased at any time, so i invite you to subscribe if you are interested.

When I read the first post a while back, the 50% discount for SO members had expired last year. It appears that the discount has been re-established and extended until June 30 of this year.

Edited by Alan

Hello,

I'd like to make a request. When you hover your mouse over a T-X plot you get all the RVs for that particular spot in time over a number of cycles as we all know. I am respectfully requesting that at the top of the averages you display a date for that particular corresponding T-X. I didn't calculate the dates for the example, just using it as a visual of what I would like to see. 

Thanks.

image.png

49 minutes ago, Rob said:

Hello,

I'd like to make a request. When you hover your mouse over a T-X plot you get all the RVs for that particular spot in time over a number of cycles as we all know. I am respectfully requesting that at the top of the averages you display a date for that particular corresponding T-X. I didn't calculate the dates for the example, just using it as a visual of what I would like to see. 

Thanks.

So you would like to see the date for the current cycle (the blue line) only and not the previous cycles ?

I don't think that the plotting library allow me to do what you ask, so i will have to find another way.

For now it will add your request to my todo list, but don't expect it right away, there are many things before that.

9 minutes ago, Djtux said:

So you would like to see the date for the current cycle (the blue line) only and not the previous cycles ?

I don't think that the plotting library allow me to do what you ask, so i will have to find another way.

For now it will add your request to my todo list, but don't expect it right away, there are many things before that.

I would like to see the date for whichever T-x my mouse hovers over. Thank you.

47 minutes ago, Rob said:

I would like to see the date for whichever T-x my mouse hovers over. Thank you.

There are 8 historical cycles and the current cycle. So that’s potentially 9 dates to show and might overwhelm the screen with too much info.

I assume you mean the date for just the current cycle? So for 1 T-X, there is 1 date to show?

1 hour ago, Djtux said:

There are 8 historical cycles and the current cycle. So that’s potentially 9 dates to show and might overwhelm the screen with too much info.

I assume you mean the date for just the current cycle? So for 1 T-X, there is 1 date to show?

@Djtux I think the idea is for stocks whose average RV line increases its downward slope at a certain point in time, so therefore you might want to exit your trade at that point.   This would be an easy way to recognize what date corresponds to that point in the current cycle.

1 hour ago, Yowster said:

@Djtux I think the idea is for stocks whose average RV line increases its downward slope at a certain point in time, so therefore you might want to exit your trade at that point.   This would be an easy way to recognize what date corresponds to that point in the current cycle.

Exactly what Yowster said.

Hello DJTUX,

I'd like to make a request: I'd like to be able to measure the degree of slope between 2 T-N points on the chart. That will help me choose some points along the graph where I may want to create a hedged straddle  where the degree of slope is less in comparison to other points on the chart. Thank you,

Rob. 

11 minutes ago, Rob said:

I'd like to make a request: I'd like to be able to measure the degree of slope between 2 T-N points on the chart. That will help me choose some points along the graph where I may want to create a hedged straddle  where the degree of slope is less in comparison to other points on the chart. Thank you,

Ok noted. Not sure if it's possible with the chart library i'm using. Another way to represent that would be a 2D matrix there in X you have the entry, in Y the exit, and in the matrix it will show the slope between the entry X and exit Y.

Just now, Djtux said:

Ok noted. Not sure if it's possible with the chart library i'm using. Another way to represent that would be a 2D matrix there in X you have the entry, in Y the exit, and in the matrix it will show the slope between the entry X and exit Y.

Clicking 2 points on the chart would be optimal (if the capability is available), if not, any manual entry would be fine. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Djtux said:

Maybe @Yowster can chime in on this idea since the hedged straddle is his baby, but perhaps some kind of formula where once earnings is announced, the software can pick 2 points on the chart where it slopes the least and have a certain amount of days in between so that you can opt to hedge it with a strangle and have the time to collect the 6% suggested average. 

I've always done this comparison visually - see my FDX post earlier that shows different rates of RV decline based on what point in time you are at, so for some stocks certain periods of time are better than others for the hedged straddle trade to be on.   Doing what @Rob mentioned would be a little more precise with actual slope numbers.

1 minute ago, Yowster said:

I've always done this comparison visually - see my FDX post earlier that shows different rates of RV decline based on what point in time you are at, so for some stocks certain periods of time are better than others for the hedged straddle trade to be on.   Doing what @Rob mentioned would be a little more precise with actual slope numbers.

Thanks for your comments @Yowster. Let me add that  depending on how you generate this, it will be much easier with actual dates rather than T-x points. This goes back to my earlier request on showing the dates which I posted earlier. 

I'd like to get some feedback if possible from members who are using the return matrix in their own trading. I see a potential for "edge" in our trading if we are able to execute our trades at times that coincide with numbers that look really good on the return matrix. For example, entering the hedged straddle at a time period where the return matrix is showing positive returns at a certain T-X. Or entering a straddle at a point in time that coincides with great numbers on the return matrix. Is anyone using this as an extra filter when planning out their trades? Thank you. 

I just wanted to know, if I subscribe to this service, can I plug in any symbol I want, and get the RV charts?

Or, do you only do the studies on a select group of stocks, or only SO candidates? Can I plug in any symbol, and also, can I get RV charts , and values,during non earnings periods of time, of my choosing?

Edited by cuegis

11 minutes ago, cuegis said:

I just wanted to know, if I subscribe to this service, can I plug in any symbol I want, and get the RV charts?

Or, do you only do the studies on a select group of stocks, or only SO candidates? Can I plug in any symbol, and also, can I get RV charts , and values,during non earnings periods of time, of my choosing?

Any US optionnable stock, yes but in practice you will only trade the liquid names anyway.

in the scanner, there are more than 1200 stocks analyzed if you remove all the filters. With the default filters to keep liquid and good name, there are still 793 stock candidates.

Yes, you just type the symbol and you get the RV charts for either straddle or calendars. That's the benefit compared to the screenshot uploaded by some members, i think the ability to generate an RV chart on demand for any stock has tremendous value and allowed some members to trade more candidates than before.

You can look at the RV charts very far in advance (say 60 trading days in advance), but know that because it's so far in advance, you don't have all the weekly trading yet.

See a screenshot for CRM that reported a few days ago : (note that you can zoom in the chart by selecting an area with the mouse).

Let me know if you need more information.

image.png

2 hours ago, Djtux said:

Any US optionnable stock, yes but in practice you will only trade the liquid names anyway.

in the scanner, there are more than 1200 stocks analyzed if you remove all the filters. With the default filters to keep liquid and good name, there are still 793 stock candidates.

Yes, you just type the symbol and you get the RV charts for either straddle or calendars. That's the benefit compared to the screenshot uploaded by some members, i think the ability to generate an RV chart on demand for any stock has tremendous value and allowed some members to trade more candidates than before.

You can look at the RV charts very far in advance (say 60 trading days in advance), but know that because it's so far in advance, you don't have all the weekly trading yet.

See a screenshot for CRM that reported a few days ago : (note that you can zoom in the chart by selecting an area with the mouse).

Let me know if you need more information.

image.png

I must not fully understand how to read these because the vertical red line to the far right has the date 8/23/2018, which I assume is the next earnings date, and that would be day 0, as it shows.

But, how do you have data on the chart that goes up to a date, 3 months in the future , that has not occurred yet?

The pink vertical line, on the left, is today, so all of this charts data being shown, is for a window of time that has not happened yet.

What don't I understand?

Or, is this 60 day period a projection, based on previous 60 day, pre earnings periods?

Edited by cuegis

3 minutes ago, cuegis said:

I must not fully understand how to read these because the vertical red line to the far right has the date 8/23/2018, which I assume is the next earnings date, and that would be day 0, as it shows.

But, how do you have data on the chart that goes up to a date, 3 months in the future , that has not occurred yet?

The pink vertical line, on the left, is today, so all of this charts data being shown, is for a window of time that has not happened yet.

What don't I understand?

Or, is this 60 day period a projection, based on previous 60 day, pre earnings periods?

The blue line is the RV chart for the 2018-08-23 estimated earning date. It shows the expiry 2018-11-16, which is the closest expiry after the earning date. That's because it's very far. Over time more monthly/weekly will be introduced by the exchanges and the website will select the closest expiry after earning.

That blue line stops at T-61 trading days before earning date because that was yesterday, the last date i have data.

Then there are 8 previous cycles, so it shows you what happened in the past.

And finally the average line is just the average of the 8 historical RV lines.

There is no projection or no estimation, except for the earning date that is not known precisely yet, but for the rest, i'm just showing the historical data.

Not sure if it helps or not.

36 minutes ago, Djtux said:

The blue line is the RV chart for the 2018-08-23 estimated earning date. It shows the expiry 2018-11-16, which is the closest expiry after the earning date. That's because it's very far. Over time more monthly/weekly will be introduced by the exchanges and the website will select the closest expiry after earning.

That blue line stops at T-61 trading days before earning date because that was yesterday, the last date i have data.

Then there are 8 previous cycles, so it shows you what happened in the past.

And finally the average line is just the average of the 8 historical RV lines.

There is no projection or no estimation, except for the earning date that is not known precisely yet, but for the rest, i'm just showing the historical data.

Not sure if it helps or not.

So, all of the lines, progressing from today until 8/23/2018, except the blue one, which only has a few days of data, are showing previous earnings cycles data, during the 60 day period, leading up to day 0, with the Black line being the average of all of those prior cycles.?

Is this a unique situation to CRM?

Isn't it the case, much more often, than not, that , at some point, approx. 2 -3 weeks prior to earnings, one would expect to see the lines moving up, and increasing, in general, until the final day 0?

In the case with CRM, it is just a straight decline during the entire 60 day period, ending up , pretty much, at the lowest point, at day 0.

Is this a very unusual case?

Just now, cuegis said:

So, all of the lines, progressing from today until 8/23/2018, except the blue one, which only has a few days of data, are showing previous earnings cycles data, during the 60 day period, leading up to day 0, with the Black line being the average of all of those prior cycles.?

Yes correct.

Day 0 is the last trading session before the earning announcement. So if the announcement is after market close, then Day 0 is the same day. If the announcement is before market open, then Day 0 is the trading day before.

2 minutes ago, cuegis said:

Is this a unique situation to CRM?

Isn't it the case, much more often, than not, that , at some point, approx. 2 -3 weeks prior to earnings, one would expect to see the lines moving up, and increasing, in general, until the final day 0?

In the case with CRM, it is just a straight decline during the entire 60 day period, ending up , pretty much, at the lowest point, at day 0.

Is this a very unusual case?

For straddle, the RV is almost going down. Depending on the stock, it could be less or more steep, sometimes there are some zones where it's more flat/less steep. But in general the straddle RV go down. This is why Yowster added the short strangle hedge component to try to not lose too much if the stock doesn't move while keeping some possible gamma gains if the stock moves.

For calendar, for some stocks it's a little bit different and there are some stocks where you see 2-3 weeks before earnings (typically after the earning date has been confirmed) the calendar RV going up. See the screenshot for the calendar RV below. You could zoom in on the website. You can see the earning date being confirmed around T-15, then then RV of the calendar goes up.

image.png

14 minutes ago, Djtux said:

Yes correct.

Day 0 is the last trading session before the earning announcement. So if the announcement is after market close, then Day 0 is the same day. If the announcement is before market open, then Day 0 is the trading day before.

For straddle, the RV is almost going down. Depending on the stock, it could be less or more steep, sometimes there are some zones where it's more flat/less steep. But in general the straddle RV go down. This is why Yowster added the short strangle hedge component to try to not lose too much if the stock doesn't move while keeping some possible gamma gains if the stock moves.

For calendar, for some stocks it's a little bit different and there are some stocks where you see 2-3 weeks before earnings (typically after the earning date has been confirmed) the calendar RV going up. See the screenshot for the calendar RV below. You could zoom in on the website. You can see the earning date being confirmed around T-15, then then RV of the calendar goes up.

image.png

I guess the downward drift, that I was looking at, seemed unusual to me,because, for the most part, I typically trade calendars as my pre earnings,delta neutral, approach, and,as you say, there is a period where it begins to rise.

It is a different animal than a straddle.

With calendars, the best approach, would be to trade the RV , pre earnings , range, by doing your best to buy RV at the low end, of previous ranges, and sell it near the higher end. Ideally doing it several times in a 2-3 week period.

With straddles, you are using the gamma from the straddle, to trade the deltas that change , with any movement in the underlying.

So, the way to secure profits is very different between the two.

Thanks Cuegis  and Djux. Good discussion. That helped clarify a few things for me as well. I have been doing more and more trades on my own now. The charts really help me make sensible decisions most of the time. Well worth the money.

12 minutes ago, cuegis said:

I had read a post recently, on here, that said SO members will receive a discount on a new subscription to your service.

Is this true, and how can I take advantage of this, if so?

the 1st post of this thread states :

"Link to the website : https://www.volatilityhq.com/payments/confirm/1/?coupon_code=SO5018Q2 (you need to create an account first).

For members of this forum, there is a 50% forever coupon is SO5018Q2 and must be redeemed by June, 30th2018. The 50% discount will be applied for as long as you keep your subscription (please make sure to update your credit card if it expires)."

Edited by 4REAL

14 minutes ago, cuegis said:

I had read a post recently, on here, that said SO members will receive a discount on a new subscription to your service.

Is this true, and how can I take advantage of this, if so?

Create an account on the website volatilityhq.com, you will receive an email to confirm your email address, click the link to confirm.

Then you can go to the subscribe page, enter your credit card, enter the coupon and click "apply coupon" and then subscribe.

When you enter your credit card, it will ask your address including your state. If you give a New York State as the billing zipcode, i have to collect sales tax.

@4REAL Thanks for the help !