SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Tradier Brokerage Special Offer

699 posts in this topic

On 02/10/2017 at 5:30 PM, Stanislav said:

They open accounts for non US citizen's on a case by case basis. Just write a letter to their support.

See also my comment in this thread:

Thanks Stanislav, I wrote to them today. Do they have a platform or should I use their service with a 3rd party platform? (provided they will allow me to subscribe)

Edited by ales19

Well, not sure if it is how I presented my case, but I was told they are not offering accounts outside the US at the moment.

I suggested I could open a US based LLC, but they were also not willing to open an account in that case.

Looks like (at least I) will have to wait until they offer accounts outside of the US.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:53 PM, ales19 said:

Well, not sure if it is how I presented my case, but I was told they are not offering accounts outside the US at the moment.

I suggested I could open a US based LLC, but they were also not willing to open an account in that case.

Looks like (at least I) will have to wait until they offer accounts outside of the US.

UPDATE: I got a further email from Tradier yesterday, and it looks like they are now running a trial program with some countries so I may be able to sign up after all.

What platform do people generally use around here with the Tradier service?

Edited by ales19

6 hours ago, ales19 said:

What platform do people generally use around here with the Tradier service?

Based on discussions in this and New Subscriber Discussion threads TradeHawk currently is the best platform for Tradier.

You can look at TradeHawk Pro (40$/mo) + SO offering ($49/mo) = $89 a months with unlimited trading option.

21 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

Based on discussions in this and New Subscriber Discussion threads TradeHawk currently is the best platform for Tradier.

You can look at TradeHawk Pro (40$/mo) + SO offering ($49/mo) = $89 a months with unlimited trading option.

@ales19 It also has a 30 day free trial so if you try and don't like, no harm.

Thanks guys, I will look into TradeHawk and see if it works for me (hopefully it has a native linux version). Otherwise I was thinking Option NET Explorer? (I believe we get a discount if we have an annual subscription?).

On 8/1/2017 at 10:16 AM, ChadK said:

You are able to download transactions directly from Apex.  I do this through TradeLog, which is what I use for trading tax accounting.  You can also do a Quicken export.  Within the website, you can display activity and export it as a CSV, which includes the columns:  

Type Trade Date Settle Date Symbol Description Trade Action Qty Price Net Amount

In addition, you can get PDFs of confirmations (daily summaries of executed trades), as well as monthly PDF statements.  Both include trade details.

@ChadK I just funded my Tradier account this week, and now after making my first trade yesterday I am attempting to import my trade activity into Tradelog.  I was able to export the csv file from Apex after following your instructions on this forum  (I called Tradier on this, and they had no idea how to help).  My csv file has the same column headings you show in your post, and my trade data is correct (just a single transaction).  When I try to import into Tradelog, I get the message "No Records to Import".  My csv file was an export from "Activity"  which included the wire transfer of funds to my account and the $40 monthly fee.  I tried importing the csv file with non-trade activity lines present, and then with those lines deleted (so there would only be the column headings and trade data) with no luck either way.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bruce 

1 hour ago, Bruce411 said:

When I try to import into Tradelog, I get the message "No Records to Import".  My csv file was an export from "Activity"  which included the wire transfer of funds to my account and the $40 monthly fee.  I tried importing the csv file with non-trade activity lines present, and then with those lines deleted (so there would only be the column headings and trade data) with no luck either way.  

Not sure what's going on.  Works for me.  When you set up a new account in TradeLog, did you select "Apex Clearing" as the import filter?  I just did another import right now to confirm it's still working, and it is.

20 hours ago, ChadK said:

Not sure what's going on.  Works for me.  When you set up a new account in TradeLog, did you select "Apex Clearing" as the import filter?  I just did another import right now to confirm it's still working, and it is.

@ChadK  Yesterday I sent a support request to Tradelog and attached the file I was using.  They replied back and said I had the wrong file.  They then gave me a link to instructions in the Tradelog help area for setting up the import function to the Apex Clearing.  With those instructions as a guide I was able to get it to work.  They Apex site is slightly different now than what Tradelog describes, but it is close enough.  Thank you Chad for your help.  I have been using Tradelog for years, and would not want to set up a new trading account that Tradelog did not support.  So I am a happy camper this morning!

All the best,

Bruce

For the pro version, TradeHawk also advertises the following deal - I wonder if they let you combine it with the Tradier deal for SO members ($40 flat fee)? That would sound too good to be true, as $89/month is quite awesome already. Anyone has any experience?

1. Pro:  stock and options.  Pay $49 per month for TradeHawk plus $.35 per contract and $3.49 per equity order.*  Trade more than 300 contracts in a month, and the $49 monthly fee is waived for that month!

25 minutes ago, clems said:

You can pay 40$ a month or the .35 for commissions.  You dont' get the $49 waived unless you pay the .35 per contract.  But you can combine the $40 + $ 49 flat fees.

You can also add 19$ for unlimited equity trades...really good deal

I am surprised to read about TradeHawk Pro for $49/month.  I spoke with Lex at TradeHawk Thursday Nov 9th and according to my notes he quoted me $89/month for TradeHawk Pro. (I had told him that I had just funded an account at Tradier, and received the "commission free for $40/month"  special)   I figured that TradeHawk had raised the price from when the previous posts were made here on this forum. That put me in the price range of considering ONE.   After thinking it over,  I shopped "Trend" and got it for $29/month.  I haven't used it yet, but from what others have posted apparently it does the job.  In order to get Trend for $29/month, a person has to speak directly to Tradier and request the email to receive the signature document to sign up. It was not advertised on the DynamicTrend website.  I tracked this down by speaking with support at DynamicTrend first, and they referred me back to Tradier.   Had I not read about the $29/month Trend deal on the SO forum, I would not have known to ask.  Also, Trend is a "bare-bones" platform compared to the regular one they are selling for $245/ month.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, 4REAL said:

@Bruce411 -  According to the Tradier website $49 for TradeHawk Pro still applies (see link, have to scroll down a bit). Maybe Lex meant $89/month for TradeHawk Pro including the SO flat fee rate (at $40) for unlimited option trades.

https://brokerage.tradier.com/platforms/tradehawk 

@4REAL   I called Lex back this morning, and he said the $49/month TradeHawk Pro deal is only honored for SteadyOption subscribers.  I got it wrong in my previous post thinking that I would be charged $89/month for TradeHawk Pro.

Please note, the page in your link states, "$49 per month, plus .35 per option contract ".  This is not the deal Lex is giving to SO members.  There is no $0.35 per option contract fee for us with the SO special deal, as I understand it.

You are ultimately correct that SO members can trade with a Tradier commission free account for $40/month and TradeHawk Pro for $49/month for a total flat fee of $89/month (not including the exchange fees that Tradier passes along to us)

I am trying to represent this information accurately in all fairness to Lex at TradeHawk.  

Please correct me if I still got it wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

2 hours ago, Bruce411 said:

@4REAL   I called Lex back this morning, and he said the $49/month TradeHawk Pro deal is only honored for SteadyOption subscribers.  I got it wrong in my previous post thinking that I would be charged $89/month for TradeHawk Pro.

Please note, the page in your link states, "$49 per month, plus .35 per option contract ".  This is not the deal Lex is giving to SO members.  There is no $0.35 per option contract fee for us with the SO special deal, as I understand it.

You are ultimately correct that SO members can trade with a Tradier commission free account for $40/month and TradeHawk Pro for $49/month for a total flat fee of $89/month (not including the exchange fees that Tradier passes along to us)

I am trying to represent this information accurately in all fairness to Lex at TradeHawk.  

Please correct me if I still got it wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

@Bruce411 -  So you have TradeHawk Pro platform for $49/ month. For trading itself you have the choice : a) .35 per contract or  b) $40 flat fee for unlimited option trades (for SO members).  It all depends on the numbers of contracts you'll trade. Since a few months I have TradeHawk Pro + the flat fee for SO members. 

Edited by 4REAL

2 hours ago, 4REAL said:

@Bruce411 -  So you have TradeHawk Pro platform for $49/ month. For trading itself you have the choice : a) .35 per contract or  b) $40 flat fee for unlimited option trades (for SO members).  It all depends on the numbers of contracts you'll trade. Since a few months I have TradeHawk Pro + the flat fee for SO members. 

Do you know if they have a mobile app? I do not think tradehawk has one, ive been looking at other platforms but none have a mobile app. Do you trade exclusively on a computer or do you trade on your mobile as well?

@Bull3t007  Yes, I trade exclusively on computer , so tbh I wouldn't know if there is a mobile app. But the Tradier people are quite helpful, so if you contact them they'll be able to tell you. Their e-mail : service@tradierbrokerage.com

Edited by 4REAL

12 minutes ago, SBatch said:

It does not, but it is a Tradier/Apex issue.

@SBatch how do you manage oca orders then? What do you use for goog pcln trades or other scenarios where oca might really help? Oca is one reason that I haven’t entirely switch off from IB

2 minutes ago, wr200m said:

@SBatch how do you manage oca orders then? What do you use for goog pcln trades or other scenarios where oca might really help? Oca is one reason that I haven’t entirely switch off from IB

I trade full time so I actively manage all of my orders.

3 minutes ago, anand331 said:

@SBatch I am considering moving part of my options trading to Tradier + TradeHawk. Just wanted to know how do you deal with the tax reporting stuff. Do you use Tradelog? Is there a way to import gain/loss into TurboTax? Sorry if it was already discussed.

Yes, this was already discussed.  Some of us use Tradelog, and you can download your trades via the Apex Clearing website and import into Tradelog.

So you can send orders from ONE to Tradier but you can't manage them - you need Trend or Tradehawk for that?

ONE 399 GBP/year (around $45/month) + Tradier $40 flat rate + TradeHawk $49 = $134 

10 minutes ago, aircal said:

So you can send orders from ONE to Tradier but you can't manage them - you need Trend or Tradehawk for that?

ONE 399 GBP/year (around $45/month) + Tradier $40 flat rate + TradeHawk $49 = $134 

What do you mean by "manage"?  I use ONE and Tradier.  I don't need/use Trend/Tradehawk to enable me to trade.

Once you send orders from ONE to Tradier, how to you see if you are filled, modify the order, roll a position, etc.?

I just got ONE and am in the process of opening a Tradier account, so maybe I am missing something...

12 minutes ago, aircal said:

Once you send orders from ONE to Tradier, how to you see if you are filled, modify the order, roll a position, etc.?

I just got ONE and am in the process of opening a Tradier account, so maybe I am missing something...

You see if you are filled, change the limit price, or cancel the order via the Tradier web interface.

To roll, adjust the trade, or enter a closing order, I use ONE to send the order to Tradier, but then have to modify the side appropriately, as all of the orders come in as "to open".  If you are closing any/all legs, you need to modify the leg(s) in the Tradier web interface after you sent the order to it from ONE.

OK, got it - you use the Tradier web interface. Sounds a bit awkward as compared to hitting ‘Roll’ in IB or TOS. I still haven’t figured out how to send orders from ONE...  Thanks for your help

9 minutes ago, aircal said:

I still haven’t figured out how to send orders from ONE..

• In the configuration tab, choose "tradier" as the live feed.
  • Model the trade in ONE.
  • Hit the "Commit Trade" button.
  • Adjust the price, order type, TIF if desired.
  • At the bottom left of that window, there's a --> tradier button.  I click the dropdown arrow on that button and select "Send without commit".
  • A login window may or may not show for your tradier account.  Enter credentials.  If opening a new trade, click the "preview" button (it's Tradier's form of error checking), then hit Send.
  • If the trade fills, go back into ONE, click "Commit Trade", (your trade will still be modeled) adjust the price to match the fill, then click the Save button to save the trade in ONE.
Edited by ChadK
formatting

10 hours ago, ChadK said:

You see if you are filled, change the limit price, or cancel the order via the Tradier web interface.

To roll, adjust the trade, or enter a closing order, I use ONE to send the order to Tradier, but then have to modify the side appropriately, as all of the orders come in as "to open".  If you are closing any/all legs, you need to modify the leg(s) in the Tradier web interface after you sent the order to it from ONE.

@ChadK, interesting. I'm also considering an option to use ONE with Tradier. So if I send 4-legged order to close Iron Condor, I need to manually modify 4 legs and set "to close" for them. Then hit "Transmit" - at least 5 mouse clicks. Sounds a bit awkward. How convenient this order entry management process in practice? If you ever used IB it would be interesting to compare ONE + IB and ONE + Tradier in terms of order management.

What happens if you forget to modify order legs and set "to close" for individual legs when closing a position?

2 hours ago, Stanislav said:

@ChadK, interesting. I'm also considering an option to use ONE with Tradier. So if I send 4-legged order to close Iron Condor, I need to manually modify 4 legs and set "to close" for them. Then hit "Transmit" - at least 5 mouse clicks. Sounds a bit awkward. How convenient this order entry management process in practice? If you ever used IB it would be interesting to compare ONE + IB and ONE + Tradier in terms of order management.

What happens if you forget to modify order legs and set "to close" for individual legs when closing a position?

The benefit though is that your ONE tradelog is kept up to date automatically; no need to subsequently import the data from IB reports and link trades (which is pretty cumbersome).  Trying to link a trade with several rolls over a few days is very difficult when you trade a lot.  Doing it in ONE avoids all that work at least.

4 hours ago, Stanislav said:

This is why I use Trend/Tradehawk.  You can easily set close orders and not have to worry about open/close because the system automatically reverses the position and you hit 'go'.

3 hours ago, Darcy MacDonald said:

The benefit though is that your ONE tradelog is kept up to date automatically; no need to subsequently import the data from IB reports and link trades (which is pretty cumbersome).  Trying to link a trade with several rolls over a few days is very difficult when you trade a lot.  Doing it in ONE avoids all that work at least.

How does that work? If I send an order from ONE, then cancel an order in Tradier web interface. Does ONE knows the order is canceled and it needs to be removed from the Trade Log?

As far as I know ONE only sends order to the broker and then forgets it. If you want to have real fills and real commissions in the trade log, you need then to import trades using Import. At least this is how ONE works with IB.

1 hour ago, clems said:

This is why I use Trend/Tradehawk.  You can easily set close orders and not have to worry about open/close because the system automatically reverses the position and you hit 'go'.

Yeah, I know TradeHawk has better integration. But I need something that can work both with IB and Tradier. As Tradier does not have Portfolio margin, I am not ready to move the whole account to Tradier. So I am investigating, may be to use ONE to trade both IB and Tradier. But that can be too much overhead..

36 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

As Tradier does not have Portfolio margin, I am not ready to move the whole account to Tradier.

Not sure if Portfolio margin is the same as "regular" margin, but I have margin on my cash account.

The Portfolio Margin thing is a killer for a regular account, but I'm looking to send a portion of my IRA over to Tradier for some trades to try it out. I did some end of year accounting and my commisions paid were just.. brutal. Really lit a fire under me to at least try Tradier. I'm leaning towards trying Tradehawk, as ONE was just.. blah. It's almost easier to do manual tracking.

The only problem is I have so many trades going on (even the official SO portfolio is on the full side) right now it's hard to free up enough capital to make going through the ACATS process worth it. 

First world problems lol

Edited by Sirion

1 hour ago, Sirion said:

The Portfolio Margin thing is a killer for a regular account, but I'm looking to send a portion of my IRA over to Tradier for some trades to try it out. I did some end of year accounting and my commisions paid were just.. brutal. Really lit a fire under me to at least try Tradier. I'm leaning towards trying Tradehawk, as ONE was just.. blah. It's almost easier to do manual tracking.

The only problem is I have so many trades going on (even the official SO portfolio is on the full side) right now it's hard to free up enough capital to make going through the ACATS process worth it. 

First world problems lol

I have the same thoughts.

"ONE was just.. blah. It's almost easier to do manual tracking." - do you mean ONE with IB was not easy for tracking, or ONE with Tradier? As some members already know, for IB I developed a Python script called TradeLogIB to dump trades using IB API to a .csv file which can be then imported into ONE almost in real-time. This makes tracking process quite easy.

Here is the script:

https://github.com/stenri/TradeLogIB

Edited by Stanislav

2 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

I have the same thoughts.

"ONE was just.. blah. It's almost easier to do manual tracking." - do you mean ONE with IB was not easy for tracking, or ONE with Tradier? As some members already know, for IB I developed a script to dump trades using IB API to a .csv file which can be then imported into ONE almost in real-time. This makes tracking process quite easy.

I haven't started using Tradier, so I was referring to IB. I wasn't aware of the script. Still, given I'm leaning towards using Tradier for a bit, I think I'll stick with my manual book-keeping for now. 

Edit: Read quickly, didn't realize it was you who developed the script - thanks! I'm sure that would be great, but since I'm complicating things with Tradier I'll probably just stick to fully manual for now.

Edited by Sirion

@Sirion, ok. Let me know your experience with Tradier! I am really interested in things like how usable ONE + Tradier is, or how TradeHawk is compared to ONE when it comes to book keeping and monitoring trades.

Also it would be interesting to know how ACAT transfer works, how long it takes, if it goes smoothly in case my margin is occupied partly by open trades and I am transferring only spare cash (I never did ACAT transfer myself, so looking forward to hear any details on the process when IB and Tradier are involved).

Edited by Stanislav

Just now, Stanislav said:

@Sirion, ok. Let me know your experience with Tradier! I am really interested in things like how usable ONE + Tradier is, or how TradeHawk is compared to ONE when it comes to book keeping and monitoring trades.

Also it would be interesting to know how ACAT transfer works, how long it takes, if it goes smoothly in case y margin is occupied partly by open trades and I am transferring only spare cash (I never did ACAT transfer myself, so looking forward to hear any details on the process when IB and Tradier are involved).

So, I'm not paying for ONE right now (and don't plan on it in the short-term), but I'll let you know about Tradehawk. In order to keep things simple with the transfer, I'm planning to phase over cash, but I'm significantly deployed right now so I'm holding off. It could take up to a week, so I might have to wait for a slow period (or lower the % I'm transferring). I was targeting 50%, but maybe 33% is more realistic (and would leave me with a better chance to seize opportunities during the transfer period)

1 hour ago, Stanislav said:

Let me know your experience with Tradier! I am really interested in things like how usable ONE + Tradier is, or how TradeHawk is compared to ONE when it comes to book keeping and monitoring trades.

If there's one thing I'm getting from this thread is that everyone has different opinions on what's usuable, what's tolerable, and what's unacceptable.  I'd suggest that you see if you can get a short trial of either ONE or TradeHawk, and see for yourself.