SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Tradier Brokerage Special Offer

699 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Rickbw said:

I'm a new subscriber, but long term option trader. On and off over the years but now retired.  I have used both OptionVue and ONE in the past at different times.  I also found the lack of documentation for ONE to be mind blowing.  The website has said it is upcoming for well over a year.  My question is this;

I have a Tradier account (used TradeHawk in the past) so, being new to Steady Options would you sign up for ONE or would you use something like TradeHawk with Tradier?

I have a Traider account and use it with ONE, I have used Tradehawk in the past but find ONE to be superior.

I don't have TradeHawk, but I do have ONE. I'm not sure if they are comparable in terms of functionality. ONE is more comparable to OptionVue, but I believe that OptionVue is much more expensive. To me ONE is a must have tool for any serious trader, and I'm very happy with it (full disclosure: I'm paying the same discounted price as the rest of SO members and don't get any compensation from ONE for recommending them). 

I see on Tradier that ONE is $65 / month (x 12 = $780), but, if I understand correctly the discounted SO annual with ONE is ~$600.  Is this correct?

CJ912 - Do you pay for ONE thru Tradier?

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for complaining about Tradier again and this is 100% my fault for not following their guidelines but I am on vacation this week and it took me longer than expected to close out of some of my long calendar spreads.  Around 3:30pm EST Tradier started manually closing my trades but only the short legs as those were the ones expiring today.   I had assumed that they would treat these as spreads since that is how they are labeled on on my position statement but they only closed the shorts and left my longs (naked) open.  Thankfully I checked this in time to close my longs.   Another expensive lesson learned.  

7 hours ago, FrankTheTank said:

Sorry for complaining about Tradier again and this is 100% my fault for not following their guidelines but I am on vacation this week and it took me longer than expected to close out of some of my long calendar spreads.  Around 3:30pm EST Tradier started manually closing my trades but only the short legs as those were the ones expiring today.   I had assumed that they would treat these as spreads since that is how they are labeled on on my position statement but they only closed the shorts and left my longs (naked) open.  Thankfully I checked this in time to close my longs.   Another expensive lesson learned.  

That's annoying--do you know how they handle long vertical spreads that are completely in the money at expiration? Will they also just close your shorts before the market closes, or will they do the right thing and exercise both to leave you flat (and with the max profit)?

17 hours ago, ex3y7s said:

That's annoying--do you know how they handle long vertical spreads that are completely in the money at expiration? Will they also just close your shorts before the market closes, or will they do the right thing and exercise both to leave you flat (and with the max profit)?

No idea but given this and other experiences I have with them I would assume the worst and just try to close out all your spreads manually no later than 3:15pm EST. 

On 2/22/2021 at 10:48 PM, Rickbw said:

I see on Tradier that ONE is $65 / month (x 12 = $780), but, if I understand correctly the discounted SO annual with ONE is ~$600.  Is this correct?

CJ912 - Do you pay for ONE thru Tradier?

Thanks for the help.

@Rickbw sorry, I had missed your question. I paid them directly, with the SO discount.

28 minutes ago, Kim said:

I will have a meeting with Dan Raju, Tradier CEO. If you have any questions/concerns, please post them here and I will pass them to Dan.

Hi Kim, when I checked a while back, Tradier were not taking clients from the UK. Could you pls ask if this is possible now, or whether there is potential of it becoming possible on the near future?

Their website says :

"In order to open an account, you must be at least 18 years of age and be either a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident. In addition, Tradier Brokerage opens accounts in over 120 foreign countries."

Edited by zxcv64

9 hours ago, Kim said:

I will have a meeting with Dan Raju, Tradier CEO. If you have any questions/concerns, please post them here and I will pass them to Dan.

I echo @zxcv64 and also wonder where things stand with mobile apps for Tradier. Admittedly it was a while ago but one of the reasons not to leave the much more expensive TastyWorks is that the mobile app of Tradier was absent. In (pre-Corona) days I would travel a lot and so sometimes mobile access to the account was essential and worth more than lower trading fees.

I would be interested to know from other Tradier users how the service is seen these days, back then (2 years ago? - Corona has screwed up my sense of time) another downside was a very basic interface for multilegged trades and none of the neat little visuals of P&Ls you can have with TW.

11 hours ago, zxcv64 said:

Hi Kim, when I checked a while back, Tradier were not taking clients from the UK. Could you pls ask if this is possible now, or whether there is potential of it becoming possible on the near future?

Their website says :

"In order to open an account, you must be at least 18 years of age and be either a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident. In addition, Tradier Brokerage opens accounts in over 120 foreign countries."

I would be interested if Ireland was included and I agree with @TrustyJules about the need for a mobile app. However I have got used to the IB app and would be reluctant to change due to a learning curve with a new platform, but if the benefits were really good I would change.

On 3/3/2022 at 6:13 AM, mccoyb53 said:

I would be interested if Ireland was included and I agree with @TrustyJules about the need for a mobile app. However I have got used to the IB app and would be reluctant to change due to a learning curve with a new platform, but if the benefits were really good I would change.

Hi Everyone,

Chris here with Tradier Brokerage.  Tradier does not offer accounts in the UK, Canada or Australia at this time.  We do not have immediate plans to do so as opening a physical location in those countries is required in order to do business there.  We will certainly make an announcement if this changes.  We can open accounts in Ireland, but not Northern Ireland as it is part of the UK.

Tradier Brokerage does now offer an app for both Android and iOS.  You can download them from the respective stores.

Opening US-based LLC account is also available.  Please email service@tradierbrokerage.com for additional details.

Thanks!

I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question and if not, please direct me to the right place

Anyway, I used to use ONE for my analysis when I traded a year ago.  I used to enter all my trades with my accounts either at TastyWorks or TD Ameritrade; but I used ONE for my analysis and tracking the trades themselves.

Recently, I decided to get an account with Tradier and reenable my subscription with ONE.  My data feed (back then) for ONE was TDA, since it was free and live.  Previously, I used to trade strategies with RUT and SPX.  However, I learned today that connecting my new Tradier account for live data, with SPX & RUT, they are both delayed by 15 minutes.  I thought it was kind of odd since they are live with TDA, why wouldn't they be live with an account I am funded with.  I understand the option chains are live and not delayed, but thought it was weird that the underlying for the chains would be delayed.

So, my question is, for those that trade these chains, with Tradier and ONE, how are you handling the process?  I thought it would be nice to be able enter my orders directly from ONE to Tradier, but since ONE uses BSM and a component of the BSM equation/model is the price of the underlying, how will the greeks be live and accurate for making trading decisions.  Do you just make these trades based on SPY instead of SPX?  Or, do you switch back and forth between the data feed and order entry to do your analysis and trading?  

I am just trying to understand the workflow/logistics that seem to be working for most.

Thanks

P.S. I understand that most SO trades are based on individual stocks and this issue probably doesn't affect most here.

P.P.S. also as a side note, regarding trade management, are we able to make adjustments to our trades in ONE and if we want to roll strikes for example, does the order entry process correctly sell/buy the contracts correctly?  Probably an ONE question, but thought I would ask since it pertains to orders via Tradier.

Edited by msteveng

I launched an iOS mobile application that caters to the Steady Options members. Made a topic a while back for a beta.

But now you can download it for free in the Appstore. (make a free account in the app)

https://apps.apple.com/nl/app/spreadable/id1644952606?l=en

It will remain free until the beginning of 2023, still haven’t decided on any pricing. 

It automatically groups most steady options strategies. If it doesn’t do it automatically you can manually group them. Swipe right to group, swipe left to close position. 

If you need more tutorials check the post about the beta.

I encourage everyone with a Tradier account to try it. It has significantly improved my trading since I’m no long reliant on my laptop/desktop. In my opinion it delivers a better trading experience than most desktop software. 

@krisbee

Since you use Tradier as well I would love to hear your opinion.

Update for next month:

- Updated option chain with option greeks

- Updated charts

- Performance history improvement (currently not showing correct data for spreads with short options)

Edited by Bull3t007

Hi everyone,

regarding the ability to trade in Europe with Tradier Brokerage (and France, Belgium for my personal situation), here is the reply of Tradier Brokerage following my request:

"Hello Romuald, Tradier Brokerage offers international accounts on a country-by-country basis.  To apply for an account, please visit brokerage.tradier.com and click on the green “Open A New Account” tab in the middle of the screen. Please keep in mind that there are countries and/or territories that we are unable to do business with. These include, but are not limited to Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom.  If you are a citizen and/or resident of those locales, we unfortunately would not be able to accommodate you with an account at this time. But Belgium would be fine. There is a $20 monthly fee unless you complete 2 or more trades each month." 

1 minute ago, Bull3t007 said:

Anyone else not being able to place trades  or sometimes even log in? Keeps getting worse for the past hour it seems. On a friday in the last hour of trading :/

Yes, today has been miserable. I reconnected several times and gave up. They are having even more difficulties than usual today.

I see this message: 

System Refresh

Tradier Brokerage is currently finishing a system update to alleviate $0 balance issues. During this time balances and positions may not load and trading may not be available. Please call 980-272-3880 to place any trades during this time.

Just now, agsb said:

I see this message: 

System Refresh

Tradier Brokerage is currently finishing a system update to alleviate $0 balance issues. During this time balances and positions may not load and trading may not be available. Please call 980-272-3880 to place any trades during this time.

Hmm okay!

Just a word to mention that I subscribed to Tradier Brokerage platform and that I find it wonderful and very efficient to use. Just a thing : you cannot place a GTC order on a more than 4 legs strategy and, so you cannot close all the more-than-4-legs in once (example with the non-earnings hedged RIC where 6 legs are opened).

@Kim and other users of Tradier/TradeHawk. I just viewed the recent webinar that Lex provided for Steady Options. He went through things very quickly, so I am viewing it a second time. Although I understand that I can have a one-on-one personal session, I would prefer to try and figure out more of the platform first so that I don't waste the personal session.

Do any of you know of other recent webinars or videos that I could access?

Edited by Alan

On 8/30/2023 at 2:06 AM, Alan said:

@Kim and other users of Tradier/TradeHawk. I just viewed the recent webinar that Lex provided for Steady Options. He went through things very quickly, so I am viewing it a second time. Although I understand that I can have a one-on-one personal session, I would prefer to try and figure out more of the platform first so that I don't waste the personal session.

Do any of you know of other recent webinars or videos that I could access?

try you tube channel...they have a few videos out there as well

A person I know, who is an options trader since 15 years told me that thing about Tradier Brokerage : "With Tradier Brokerage your orders are not sent to the markets but to a High Frequency Trading company which will exploit them to its advantage. So, I don't know the exact process but basically, they receive your order and will try to make money on it by going in front of you and then executing your order and making a profit in the process. Given what I just told you, you should know that trade execution is better at IB. Indeed, I have already sent the same order to Tradier and IB at the same time. Well each time (EVERY time), my order was executed first at IB and only later at Tradier (after several tens of minutes sometimes!)". I would like to know what you guys think about that?

9 hours ago, Romuald said:

A person I know, who is an options trader since 15 years told me that thing about Tradier Brokerage : "With Tradier Brokerage your orders are not sent to the markets but to a High Frequency Trading company which will exploit them to its advantage. So, I don't know the exact process but basically, they receive your order and will try to make money on it by going in front of you and then executing your order and making a profit in the process. Given what I just told you, you should know that trade execution is better at IB. Indeed, I have already sent the same order to Tradier and IB at the same time. Well each time (EVERY time), my order was executed first at IB and only later at Tradier (after several tens of minutes sometimes!)". I would like to know what you guys think about that?

I have no idea on what your friend said, but I’ve been trading with IB for years and with Tradier since January. I regularly place an order on Tradier that doesn’t show up as the bid/ask, even when it should. Most of the time it shows up within 5-10 seconds and there will occasionally be a 15-30 second delay, but beyond that is rare. That doesn’t happen for me at IB, though. I’ve tested it numerous times by submitting orders simultaneously on both platforms and also trying one before the other and always get quicker fills at IB for the same order. However, in my observation, the price I eventually get is only occasionally better at IB, but then the commissions/fees are always higher at IB. For reference, my average commissions costs is 1.0% of my trade at IB, while it is 0.2% at Tradier. But I’m not sure that’s a great comparison on its own since it depends on the style of trading one does. Also, it doesn't directly compare when/if fills are better at IB vs Tradier and I don't have data on that - only personal observation which could easily be biased.

I am just trading options on these platforms and as long as I avoid thinly traded options and times with unusually quick price movement on the underlying, I doubt there’s enough of a difference to overcome the savings on commissions. so bottom line for me is that Tradier annoys me more, but I still use them.

Edited by greenspan76
Clarification

On 9/9/2023 at 11:47 AM, Romuald said:

Here's the most systematic discussion on this I've seen for stock only: Aug 2022,  SSRN-id4189239.pdf 

From the conclusion:

image.png

It's pretty confusing but my understanding is that an order from say, robin hood and tda could be routed to the same market maker at the same time but because of the relative "market power" (vague), TDA clients get a better fill. Surprisingly PFOF amounts and from whom are not predictive of execution quality.

Apparently TDA has the lowest transaction costs among the brokers considered and very surprisingly to me, IB has the highest. 

image.png

February 2024 offer from Tradier:

Steady Options customers receive a special Index Option pricing of only $.10 per contract when you sign up for the Tradier Pro plan.**

Customers must be subscribed to Steady Options in order to take part in this promotion. Limited to one account per household. 

*Single Listed Index Options are subject to a $0.10/contract commission in addition to any other charges for exchange, OCC, and regulatory fees. See Fee Schedule for more details. Tradier Brokerage Inc. charges for exchange, OCC, and regulatory fees. Other fees and applicable minimums may apply see Fee Schedule for more details.

The bottom line is that Single Listed Index Options (VIX etc) will have a special pricing of around 0.50-0.55 per contract all in.

On 5/5/2022 at 2:28 AM, Chris Lepore said:

Hi Everyone,

Chris here with Tradier Brokerage.  Tradier does not offer accounts in the UK, Canada or Australia at this time.  We do not have immediate plans to do so as opening a physical location in those countries is required in order to do business there.  We will certainly make an announcement if this changes.  We can open accounts in Ireland, but not Northern Ireland as it is part of the UK.

Tradier Brokerage does now offer an app for both Android and iOS.  You can download them from the respective stores.

Opening US-based LLC account is also available.  Please email service@tradierbrokerage.com for additional details.

Thanks!

Hi Chris

@Chris Lepore

As a resident of Australia, I understand that you don't accept clients from Australia, etc. I noticed in your post that the reason is that "you need to open a physical location". I currently use TastyTrade and IB. I'm pretty sure that Tasty doesn't have an office in Australia so just wondering how they manage to get around the requirement? 

It looks like your brokerage has a lot to offer, it would be good to see you accepting Australian clients at some stage.

Regards

Sean

Hi Sean,

We recently looked into this and whether a physical location is required or not, the requirement is that you have to open a actual broker-dealer in Australia. This is a large undertaking that both Tasty and IB have chosen to do. You'll notice on their website that they have separate brokerages in Australia. This is not something that Tradier and/or our clearing firm Apex will be undertaking at this time.

Sincerely,

Chris Lepore

1 hour ago, the french player said:

i opened an account with tradier and One

my live feed is ok but impossible to open a trade . it's like my trade are filled in one but stay in one

if someone know the little thing i have to do

Assuming you have set up your Configuration to get your "Live Feed" from Tradier, after you model your trade, be sure to click the "tradier" pull-down to actually send the order to the broker.

It also helps to have the "Order" tab/window open to monitor your orders.

image.png

Edited by rasar

Hi crew - i scrolled through the entire thread here and wanted to confirm the latest status on how ONE integrates with Tradier. Two questions specifically:

1. Can you manage open orders directly in ONE or does one still need to go to Tradier Web to make changes?

2. Does ONE now receive the fills data back from Tradier or do I need to manually populate the trades in ONE?

6 hours ago, Vkleniko said:

Hi crew - i scrolled through the entire thread here and wanted to confirm the latest status on how ONE integrates with Tradier. Two questions specifically:

1. Can you manage open orders directly in ONE or does one still need to go to Tradier Web to make changes?

2. Does ONE now receive the fills data back from Tradier or do I need to manually populate the trades in ONE?

(note: the explanation below relates to the Beta version, which I use. In terms of the mechanics, It's probably the same in the regular version).

1. Yes, you can. Be aware, though, there's a small confusing thing that happens when you begin to modify an open order, then change your mind and leave it alone. The "Cancel" button  actually cancels your existing order instead of simply closing the modify window. Instead, there's a little "X" on the top right corner which serves to simply close the dialog. I don't have any open orders right now, so I can't attach a screenshot.

2. Yes, but not really. When you send an order to open the trade, you have 2 choices - either Save it to the database but not to Tradier, or conversely, send it to Tradier but not save it to the database. So after you do "Send without Save" to Tradier, it will show up in the "Orders" window. After it fills, only the Orders window knows that it filled, and not the database (since it didn't get saved there). You have to then "Import" the filled trade into the database in order to see it as part of your ONE portfolio.

36 minutes ago, rasar said:

(note: the explanation below relates to the Beta version, which I use. In terms of the mechanics, It's probably the same in the regular version).

1. Yes, you can. Be aware, though, there's a small confusing thing that happens when you begin to modify an open order, then change your mind and leave it alone. The "Cancel" button  actually cancels your existing order instead of simply closing the modify window. Instead, there's a little "X" on the top right corner which serves to simply close the dialog. I don't have any open orders right now, so I can't attach a screenshot.

2. Yes, but not really. When you send an order to open the trade, you have 2 choices - either Save it to the database but not to Tradier, or conversely, send it to Tradier but not save it to the database. So after you do "Send without Save" to Tradier, it will show up in the "Orders" window. After it fills, only the Orders window knows that it filled, and not the database (since it didn't get saved there). You have to then "Import" the filled trade into the database in order to see it as part of your ONE portfolio.

Perfect! Thank you @rasar for the detailed insights. Just a follow up then - is the trades/fills "import' a function  embedded in ONE or is it something you would do by hand?

6 minutes ago, Vkleniko said:

Perfect! Thank you @rasar for the detailed insights. Just a follow up then - is the trades/fills "import' a function  embedded in ONE or is it something you would do by hand?

Import is a built-in feature of ONE. You can import from Tradier, or a number of other brokerages as long as the CSV file is in the correct format for that brokerage.

I just tried to use Tradier's Android app and I found it less intuitive to use and also seemingly more lacking in features. In this forum, there has been mention of folks using the mobile browser to use Tradier.

One of the features I couldnt seem to find was the ability to see pending orders, or to manage multilegged orders as one position. Would appreciate if folks could confirm my experience

I would also like to confirm that the mobile app experience still has lots of room for improvement and that the mobile web page is the way to go when accessing Tradier on the mobile phone

Edited by dreamtrader
Line breaks