SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Tradier Brokerage Special Offer

699 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, vnr111 said:

Did anyone else get this fee?

This is the case for me also.  Very early on with the free commission plan they absorbed these fees but started passing them to the customer at some point.  I got a more polite response when I asked but there isn't anything you can do.  $0.10-0.11/contract still isn't bad.

Is there a way to see the live bid/ask spread while monitoring orders in Tradier? I've been using their web browser interface. The bid/ask spread shows up in the preview but once you submit the order it disappears. But even then it's different from what I see in IB. In effect, I had to submit a deliberately low buy order in IB to see the true prices there and then I would enter the desired price in Tradier.

7 hours ago, agsb said:

Is there a way to see the live bid/ask spread while monitoring orders in Tradier? I've been using their web browser interface. The bid/ask spread shows up in the preview but once you submit the order it disappears. But even then it's different from what I see in IB. In effect, I had to submit a deliberately low buy order in IB to see the true prices there and then I would enter the desired price in Tradier.

I also only see it when I hit "preview".

The web interface for Tradier is pretty rudimentary - its good enough if youre in a pinch.

I think most people on here who use Tradier, use Tradehawk.

I sent in an application Monday night, account was approved and open for funding Tuesday around noon. (However, I am US-based so YMMV.)

I am also planning to transfer a big chunk of my tastyworks margin account to Tradier. Note that tastyworks lists a fee of $75 for ACAT transfer-out (probably per transfer per account), so I'm planning on liquidating a bunch of positions and do the transfer in cash via my bank account using ACH. (Again, US-based so this route may not be easy/fast/possible for you.) Another issue is ACAT might take a few days and they lock down your positions (if you transfer in-kind) until the transfer is completed and only then you can manage them on the receiving brokerage. I don't want to have to end up bagholding some unmanageable position for days or weeks (ran into this situation before with another brokerage-to-brokerage direct transfer).

Note that if you want to transfer your (Roth) IRA between brokerages you would have to fork over the ACAT transfer-out fee due to contribution/withdrawal penalties/limits. (Only relevant for those who worked in the US before and have one.)

Note that Tradier only allows a single 10K via ACH . 

I submitted multiple 10K ACH transfers over the span of weeks but they kept canceling them saying 10K max total is allowed even after I told them I dont mind waiting 10-20 business days for them to clear.  I was forced to wire in funds.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:34 PM, Bull3t007 said:

Anyone using the Tradehawk platform that is able to use the android app? Mine directly crashes after authenthicating.

I can use the Tradehawk android app. However, it seems totally useless. It appears to be impossible to change the price of an existing order. Unlike with their browser interface Dash, you cannot select existing positions to close them. Next month I'm dropping Tradehawk and going back to using pure Tradier.

10 minutes ago, agsb said:

I can use the Tradehawk android app. However, it seems totally useless. It appears to be impossible to change the price of an existing order. Unlike with their browser interface Dash, you cannot select existing positions to close them. Next month I'm dropping Tradehawk and going back to using pure Tradier.

Thats a real bummer, I hope they will fix this. I still can't open the app. Even the tradier dashboard via mobile gives me errors sometimes when modifying orders. I was out last night and had to guess whether I would be able to close the DOCU trade. I enjoy the low commision but they really have to step up their mobile game if they want to stay competitive. 

How is everyone liking the Tradier/Tradehawk combo? I'm a long-time IB customer, and I really like IB in almost all respects, but I must admit that the prospect of saving so much on commissions is tantalizing. At the same time, I'm willing to pay more in commissions for a better product. So I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of folks who are currently using Tradier, especially if you've also used IB at some point and can compare the two.

I have used IB, but switched to TW and am currently using Tradier/Tradehawk and TW. If you travel a lot and need mobile access, I would probably avoid Tradier, the tradehawk mobile app is nowhere near as intuitive and easy to use as either the IB or TW versions. The desktop app is actually not bad, although the IB version is much better. 

I'm using IB and Tradier. For a month I had the Tradier/Tradehawk combo but didn't find the Tradehawk platform worth paying extra $50. The mobile app is useless. The desktop pp looks decent but in practice it's not better than the web interface (Dash) for my purposes. I run Tradier in a browser on my phone, more or less the same as on the desktop.

The main problem with Tradier is that I cannot see the "true" bid/ask spread when I place an order. The bid/ask spread in IB is tighter and appears to be more real. So, before I place any order with Tradier I enter it first in IB (with, say, buy $0.01 order) to be able to see the spread and the last price. Then I enter and subsequently modify the order in Tradier by consulting IB. After the order is executed, I keep the $0.01 version of this order in IB to track its performance and to have an idea at which point to close the position in Tradier.

It's a bit cumbersome but less than it appears.

Thanks, @CJ912 and @agsb. Very helpful.

I do travel and trade mobile a lot, so it sounds like this may not be the best option for me. That is one area where IB really stands out positively (I personally do not like TW's mobile app as much, but it may be that I just don't have the hang of it fully yet). @agsb, does Tradier run fairly well in a browser on your phone? 

On 3/7/2019 at 3:18 PM, Kim said:

Please use the special link in the first post of this topic.

Im not sure if the link still works, promo code field is empty when it opens after clicking it. Anyone try recently, is this normal?  

Tradier is informing under the FAQs...

"Yes, to write uncovered puts, there is a $25,000 minimum. To write uncovered calls, there is a $100,000 minimum. To write uncovered Index options, there is a $300,000 minimum".

so, if e.g. a put option is sold within a hedged strangle, calendar or diagonal, the risk is much lower than it is with a simple uncovered short call.

Therefore I assume that for the implementation of the SteadyOption trades there is no minimum of usd 100'000 at Tradier necessary.

Is my assumption correct?

Edited by MH74

2 hours ago, MH74 said:

Therefore I assume that for the implementation of the SteadyOption trades there is no minimum of usd 100'000 at Tradier necessary.

In the past six months, I have traded SO calendar setups in a Tradier account when the account balance has been just below $2K USD.  It may have even gotten down as low as $500 USD at one point.

3 hours ago, MH74 said:

Tradier is informing under the FAQs...

"Yes, to write uncovered puts, there is a $25,000 minimum. To write uncovered calls, there is a $100,000 minimum. To write uncovered Index options, there is a $300,000 minimum".

so, if e.g. a put option is sold within a hedged strangle, calendar or diagonal, the risk is much lower than it is with a simple uncovered short call.

@MH74, these margin requirements are for naked/uncovered puts and calls. None of SO trades do naked puts/calls. So your margin will be dictated by the distance between your long and short legs. Since standard official SO trade size is 1K, your margin should never exceed 1K (of course multiplied by how many units you are trading). Hope it helped.

Guest Mike

I just opened an account with Tradier and tried to place my first trade a diagonal in SPX and it's saying I don't have enough margin

It looks to me like the long side is not factored in so it looks like I am trying to place a naked put

I am in the process of finding out why this is happening but this is not a good sign

1 hour ago, Guest Mike said:

I just opened an account with Tradier and tried to place my first trade a diagonal in SPX and it's saying I don't have enough margin

It looks to me like the long side is not factored in so it looks like I am trying to place a naked put

I am in the process of finding out why this is happening but this is not a good sign

MIke,

This is a subtle but well known issue (and discussed in previous posts).  SPX is cash settled and Tradier doesn't provide margin relief for the time spread (they assume by default you'll forget to close the short option by expiration and thus could have a margin issue if it was ITM and you're short on cash).  You can get around this by using SPY instead.

Other brokers (like TD or IB) seem not to care about this.  

Tim

Edited by luxmon

TradeHawk is giving away TradeHawk and commission-free trading through March 2021. It may be a good way to try out Tradier if you haven't already.

https://brokerage.tradier.com/signup/getting-started?promo=FREEHAWK21

I already have an account, but haven't signed on for Tradier yet. I intend to use the TradeHawk promo to give it a whirl. They usually give you a month free, but that wasn't enough time for me. This way a 3-month trial should be sufficient to kick the tires.

Edited by rasar
Added promo email

38 minutes ago, rasar said:

TradeHawk is giving away TradeHawk and commission-free trading through March 2021. It may be a good way to try out Tradier if you haven't already.

https://brokerage.tradier.com/signup/getting-started?promo=FREEHAWK21

I already have an account, but haven't signed on for Tradier yet. I intend to use the TradeHawk promo to give it a whirl. They usually give you a month free, but that wasn't enough time for me. This way a 3-month trial should be sufficient to kick the tires.

Thanks. This has been on my to do list but I am so comfortable with TOS I can’t see myself changing even if it saves money.  Hard to change. 

17 hours ago, FrankTheTank said:

Thanks. This has been on my to do list but I am so comfortable with TOS I can’t see myself changing even if it saves money.  Hard to change. 

I hear you, although my intent has been to use both platforms, to avoid putting all my eggs in one ToS basket. So I hope to get familiar enough with TradeHawk to use it effectively alongside ToS, and not have to learn it when Chuck/TDA have a bad day.

23 minutes ago, anand331 said:

Are there any Tradier + ONE special discounts? How much does the combo cost per month? Sorry if it is already covered somewhere else.

I just stumbled up on this on the Tradier website:  https://brokerage.tradier.com/platforms/optionnet-explorer

Looks like $65 per month for ONE plus Tradier commission free trades for a total of $780 USD per year.  

Using the SO discount we can get ONE for $605 USD per year and Tradier for $120 per year for a total of $725 USD so it would be cheaper to use the SO discounts.   

Just now, FrankTheTank said:

I just stumbled up on this on the Tradier website:  https://brokerage.tradier.com/platforms/optionnet-explorer

Looks like $65 per month for ONE plus Tradier commission free trades for a total of $780 USD per year.  

Using the SO discount we can get ONE for $605 USD per year and Tradier for $120 per year for a total of $725 USD so it would be cheaper to use the SO discounts.   

Thanks @FrankTheTank.

9 hours ago, FrankTheTank said:

Thanks for this Frank - could you show how Tradier interfaces with One? Is the trading simply through the one screen?

Does it resolve the issue of tradier not having a good mobile interface? Despite covid I often travel and cannot always open a pc screen to do the trading - in those cases the mobile interface of TW is essential and tradier could not offer it so far.

@TrustyJules I use tradier with One. Trading can be done directly through One (I'm not sure if this is already in the production version but the public beta has had it for the last two versions). Unfortunately One has no mobile solution. I used to have a horrendous commute, during which I often wanted to trade and therefore I initially used Tradehawk. Their mobile version was littered with issues on Android though. Since I foresee quite a bit of travel in the future and  I'm still looking for a solution as well. Perhaps a remote connection with something like teamviewer and a tablet could work.

Btw, since we don't seem to live too far apart, you are more than welcome to come over and see how One works with Tradier if you want to.

3 minutes ago, CJ912 said:

@TrustyJules I use tradier with One. Trading can be done directly through One (I'm not sure if this is already in the production version but the public beta has had it for the last two versions). Unfortunately One has no mobile solution. I used to have a horrendous commute, during which I often wanted to trade and therefore I initially used Tradehawk. Their mobile version was littered with issues on Android though. Since I foresee quite a bit of travel in the future and  I'm still looking for a solution as well. Perhaps a remote connection with something like teamviewer and a tablet could work.

Btw, since we don't seem to live too far apart, you are more than welcome to come over and see how One works with Tradier if you want to.

Thanks that would be cool once this covid madness abates a little I shall gladly take you up on that.

6 hours ago, TrustyJules said:

Is the trading simply through the one screen?

Does it resolve the issue of tradier not having a good mobile interface?

ONE is simply uses an API-based gateway into Tradier's back-end order flow. It passes a modeled order into Tradier as a one-way transaction.

It doesn't provide for any further order monitoring, or manipulation such as tweaking the price, changing the order or even canceling it. That must still be done through TradeHawk, or through Tradier's web-based "Dash" portal. Any such changes in the order must then be done manually to the transaction in ONE. (see correction below)

In other words, ONE is only a TENTH in this case.😁

Edited by rasar

@TrustyJules and @CJ912, are you guys able to open an account with Tradier, given that you live in Europe? I tried and they only seem to accept US clients. I also tried a year ago and it was the same then.

I've just sent them an email. Would be good to hear if other non-US traders have been accepted.

image.png

Edit: 10 minutes after sending them an email, and me writing the above, they responded :

image.png

Edited by zxcv64

23 minutes ago, rasar said:

ONE is simply uses an API-based gateway into Tradier's back-end order flow. It passes a modeled order into Tradier as a one-way transaction.

It doesn't provide for any further order monitoring, or manipulation such as tweaking the price, changing the order or even canceling it. That must still be done through TradeHawk, or through Tradier's web-based "Dash" portal. Any such changes in the order must then be done manually to the transaction in ONE.

In other words, ONE is only a TENTH in this case.😁

@rasar I can both update the  price and cancel from ONE, but I have to add that I use the beta version

1 hour ago, rasar said:

Hmm. I'm using the Beta, too (v2.0.63), but I'm not sure how to do that. I'll PM you to figure it out, then summarize it here.

Thanks, @CJ912. I wasn't aware of the "Orders" module. I could swear it's something new, but I'll have to go back and see (for my own edification) when it was introduced.

That module allows all the things I originally said were not possible.

2 hours ago, zxcv64 said:

@TrustyJules and @CJ912, are you guys able to open an account with Tradier, given that you live in Europe? I tried and they only seem to accept US clients. I also tried a year ago and it was the same then.

I've just sent them an email. Would be good to hear if other non-US traders have been accepted.

image.png

Edit: 10 minutes after sending them an email, and me writing the above, they responded :

image.png

I think we are restricted to IB in the UK which is not too bad. Unless anyone knows of any other alternatives?

6 hours ago, rasar said:

Thanks, @CJ912. I wasn't aware of the "Orders" module. I could swear it's something new, but I'll have to go back and see (for my own edification) when it was introduced.

That module allows all the things I originally said were not possible.

Sorry but could you show a screen shot of this?

The fact that ONE does not have any documentation on this or any of there new features is mind blowing.   I can't wait of the day until someone like tradingview.com decides to get into option charting and offers it for free eliminating the need to pay for ONE.  

On a positive note, I really like their new Monitor Dock feature that lets me quickly take a look at all my open trades to see where they stand and what needs to be adjusted:

image.png

Edited by FrankTheTank

On 12/29/2020 at 11:32 PM, FrankTheTank said:

The fact that ONE does not have any documentation on this or any of there new features is mind blowing  I can't wait of the day until someone like tradingview.com decides to get into option charting and offers it for free eliminating the need to pay for ONE.  

Agree. I have paid for the 2.0 beta, it kind of worked most of the times but there is simply no documentation and as the UI has quite some changes, it was really painful. As they have no mobile version, it became a deal breaker for me. I would buy it if they would keep their timelines and had reasonable documentation. Maybe when they get to V3.0 and realise that lots of Option traders have a day job, cannot haul around their private laptops all the time and thus and require a mobile option.

I'm a new subscriber, but long term option trader. On and off over the years but now retired.  I have used both OptionVue and ONE in the past at different times.  I also found the lack of documentation for ONE to be mind blowing.  The website has said it is upcoming for well over a year.  My question is this;

I have a Tradier account (used TradeHawk in the past) so, being new to Steady Options would you sign up for ONE or would you use something like TradeHawk with Tradier?